• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting article about the music industry and tv.

Register to hide this ad
Really? I would take an iPod and a Bose Sound dock over a seventies all in one. Even if you had a gun to my head.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I'll take any 1966 Zenith console from middle of the line upwards over any iPod and Bose Sound Dock. The Zenith sounds better than most any Bose product. And looks much nicer in my living room.
 
I wouldn't trade my early 70s Sony HP 580 for an ipod and any sound dock. Sounds very good an even plays records.
 
Consoles? Really? I have yet to hear one that sounds decent.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
ipod or am transistor radio? ipod

console stereo with record changer using ceramic cartridge or decent soundbar? Soundbar

TOTL stereo from 1964 or cost eqivalent stereo from today? today's stereo
 
I agree with the points on labels picking talentless beauties to pitch modern pop, but I guess sex sells or so they think.
 
Interesting way to start a vintage vs. modern battle... appears to be working. I think if you "cherry pick" any era, any medium, you can outdo the dregs of any other era/medium. Be it sound reproduction, tv, music, cars, whatever. Gold beats plastic. Plastic beats cardboard. And so on.
My two cents.
We now return you to your regular flaming!
billw
 
I've pulled some very interesting parts out of some cheap late 60s/early 70s all in one units. I'd absolutely love to find an infinite source of late 60s Emerson all in ones. The ones I've gutted had innards made by Hitachi and hid some very useful bits inside what was overall not worthy of a second look.
 
What I found interesting was the idea that how the average household listens to music often sounds worse or at least not any better than 50 years ago. This could be because of gear or music format, or both. This in no way says there are not folks listening to very high quality sound now, or crappy sound then. Compare this to the the changes in how the average home watches tv, on giant high definition flat screen tv's, and the difference is huge.

This has nothing to do with what some of us in an audio forum prefer, it's just about compareing what's out there in the market. I would say most people, in this country anyway, buy their tv's and audio systems at big box stores, where you can get some pretty amazing televisions, but NOT a lot of amazing audio gear.
 
I am of a similar mind as WillVT. Why do people think I'm crazy today if I spend $1000 on a pair of stereo speakers? I don't call them crazy for buying tv's that cost the same. Why is it considered odd that I might take more enjoyment from listening to music than watching tv? You answer that question and we're going somewhere. It's cool (and regular) to be fanatic about a particular tv or movie series but I'm a weirdo for having seen some of the same bands 50-100 times each. It baffles me, but I'm used to it by now.
 
Interesting article. I am not a TV watcher, I don't even have cable. However, my wife has a Netflix subscription, and she watches a lot of the critically-acclaimed shows they put out nowadays. From the little I've seen of them, I must agree that, reality crap aside, the TV dramas of the post Sopranos/Wire era are far better than the crap I watched in the 80's.
It is refreshing to see a mainstream media source address the issue of the decline in quality of today's audio equipment. "Music is the only branch of the entertainment world to embrace progressively inferior technologies." I couldn't have said it better myself. A couple of weeks ago, I was standing in line at an estate sale, talking with a guy old enough to be my dad, and another guy old enough to be my gramps (I'm 40). The older guy was talking about how he recently sold thousands of dollars worth of old tube gear to a collector in China. The other guy made a joke about how the far East is sending us all of this cheap digital crap, while they are buying up all of the great tube gear that was all over the US in it's heyday. I, being an ass, suggested we go back to shoving opium down their throats to remedy the trade imbalance, like in the old days.
The interesting thing about the conversation is that all three of us are audio nuts, and nobody even suggested that the new stuff is superior or even equivalent in sound quality. I know this is just one conversation, but every conversation I have with a live audiophile contains the assumption that tube is better than SS, 50's to early 70's gear is better than modern, etc. Of course there are exceptions, but really the only time I hear audiophiles claim that digital (of all things) is superior to most older gear is here on AK.
 
Back
Top Bottom