• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Interesting find, what's it worth?

Big Beat

New Member
Panasonic RS-254S portable taper recorder from early 1970s, like new in original box with all accessories. It's not often that one finds something that has been left almost untouched for 40+ years, so it's hard to put a value on it. What would be a fair price for something like this, considering the condition?

In some collectible fields, the item is immediately worth several times its mint price if it retains original packaging. Is this also the case with old audio gear, or is it more like "yeah, it's kinda nice to get an original box and papers if it's included, but I'm not paying extra for it"?
 

Attachments

  • PanasonicRS254S_1.jpg
    PanasonicRS254S_1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PanasonicRS254S_4.jpg
    PanasonicRS254S_4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 38
  • PanasonicRS254S_11.jpg
    PanasonicRS254S_11.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 39
  • PanasonicRS254S_12.jpg
    PanasonicRS254S_12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 38
Register to hide this ad
Considering you have the box, the papers, and it looks to be pristine, I would peg it at worthless, other than to a movie prop warehouse.

No one uses one, its function is now done by a device that is the size of a thumb drive, and/or an I phone. It is a cool relic of a bygone time, but so are a bean bag chair and Frye cowboy boots.
 
The trick is to find somebody with sentimental memories of having one.

There are lots of people looking for odd ball things from their past.
 
Not everything that is untouched for forty years is going to gain in value.Probably worth what you paid for it.
 
I had a Concord tape deck that looked almost exactly like that. I remember it fondly, and have no idea what ever happened to it, but still have no interest in acquiring another... sadly, I suspect most folks will feel the same.
 
To most of us nothing because it would simply take up valuable space but there are collectors for all sorts of things and if you can get two of those collectors vying for the same prize who knows? $150.00 maybe even $250.00

Pop it on Ebay and see perhaps put a minimum opening bid of whatever you paid then cross your fingers.


REGARDS SNOW
 
There isn't a big market out there for cassette recorders, regardless of condition. Also, keep in mind that the fact that it hasn't been used in 40+ years has no bearing on whether the rubber capstans have deteriorated past the point of utility. I love tape technology myself, but I don't pay crap for any of my tape stuff, because of the low demand. I wish I could tell you that you had a buried treasure in your possession, but I'm just being honest. My advice would be to keep it if you like tape tech, like I do (that is, if you're willing to replace the capstans).
 
Back
Top Bottom