• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

interpretation of Japanese brands'names

Panasonic sounds cool and Natioal sounds old-fashioned, I guess. National may sound as if it were run by the government. ?????????

When I went to Japan for a visit back in 2001 there were signs everywhere for both Panasonic and National. I guess it was around the time of the transition. By the way, what do they do with those 30 meter tall neon signs when they are done with them?

Chad
 
When I went to Japan for a visit back in 2001 there were signs everywhere for both Panasonic and National. I guess it was around the time of the transition. By the way, what do they do with those 30 meter tall neon signs when they are done with them?

Chad
I can't identify the neon signs you mean :scratch2: Where are they?
 
.......

JVC(Japan Victor Corporation)=American Origin

Very interesting topic--thanks for this.

heh....as tell tale precursor to the infamous BPC....back in the early 80's a buddy of mine coined JVC as "Junior Varsity Components".
 
Very interesting topic--thanks for this.

heh....as tell tale precursor to the infamous BPC....back in the early 80's a buddy of mine coined JVC as "Junior Varsity Components".

It is said that JVC's engineers hold intense rivalry against those of SONY.
But this company was always playing second fiddle to the other competitors, to be sure.
 
I think Japan may have one forgotten resource; the intelligence of its population. It has served you well in the past and will continue to serve you well.
 
I think Japan may have one forgotten resource; the intelligence of its population. It has served you well in the past and will continue to serve you well.

Thank you so much.... Some Japanese are more perfectionists than intelligent.
Yet, Japanese turn hot and stupid all of a sudden like sixty plus years ago.:sigh:
 
"Hot and stupid" is an interesting description. What is it describing in your society?

Sorry, I can't identify the meaning of SOCIETY in this context. However,,,,,
I mean that we failed to foresee the result of the event. Is "society" language, I wonder??????
 
Thank you so much.... Some Japanese are more perfectionists than intelligent.
Yet, Japanese turn hot and stupid all of a sudden like sixty plus years ago.:sigh:
鈴木様: 'Hot and stupid' is 恥ずかしいですか?
Perhaps Mr Suzuki means 'embarrassed'?
 
From the book Made In Japan (the Sony biography as written by Akio Morita), the name SONY was adapted from the word SONNY (sunny), used as SONNY BOY, meaning a bright or smart young man.

There's a bigger story behind it... I'll have to flip thru the book again because I can only remember bits and pieces (they were defense contractors at one point).

I <3 Sony :)
 
鈴木様: 'Hot and stupid' is 恥ずかしいですか?
Perhaps Mr Suzuki means 'embarrassed'?
I just would like to have expressed Japanese got excited and made a fatal mischoice.:no: Japanese are not accustomed to international negociations .:yes: Neither is NK, I suppose. US was a superpower and Japan did't recognized that well. Lack of intelligence(information) drove us into too brave an action. Let's wrap up talking on this topic. Japanese people were NOT INFORMED of the situations at all,:nono: and the millitary leaders'
decision was everythng. :tears: NK people are good people, I believe. Therefore, ordinary Japanese mass do not shame on themselves as an indivisual. Are political topics allowed here? BTW, how does your tube/FET hybrid sound? That's the way it is.......=Taihei
 
Last edited:
LOL!

私のおくさんもうへんな日本人ですよ!
(My wife is also a 'peculiar Japanese'!)[/QUOT

さいきんは、へんな、日本人がおおいです。
へんな日本人の、おくさんに、よろしく。
(GIve my best regards to your 'strange Japanese okusan')
"I am a henna Ojisan, as you suspect....." This phrase will make sense to her, I bet.
She will laugh for sure....
Taihei
 
Last edited:
Toshiba started as: TOKYO SHIBAURA ELECTRIC CO. LTD = TO/SHIBA

One must remember that the manufacturer of the food processors "KENWOOD LTD" is not affiliated to KENWOOD Electronics...!

Kenwood Ltd was established in England by Kenneth Maynard Wood as the Dickson & Wood company in 1936 selling, installing and repairing radios and televisions. The food processor was launched in 1950.
 
It works both ways. Kyu Sakamoto's 1963 Japanese language hit "Sukiyaki", had absolutely nothing to do w/that American dish..."Sukiyaki" just sounded good & was somewhat familiar to American audiences...Even now, w/nearly 60 years of heavy "Western" (Read "American") influence in Japan, I still think the 2 cultures have a slightly weird, "Alternate reality" view of each other in certain ways. It's not necessarily BAD, or necessarily good, it just IS...
 
It works both ways. Kyu Sakamoto's 1963 Japanese language hit "Sukiyaki", had absolutely nothing to do w/that American dish..."Sukiyaki" just sounded good & was somewhat familiar to American audiences...Even now, w/nearly 60 years of heavy "Western" (Read "American") influence in Japan, I still think the 2 cultures have a slightly weird, "Alternate reality" view of each other in certain ways. It's not necessarily BAD, or necessarily good, it just IS...

I seize what you mean... Sakamoto's SUKIYAKI to Japanese sounds the way as if American anthem were called "The Big Mac",,,,,,,, I hear some American still believe Samurais are walking up and down the street among business people carrying a sward at the twist downtown enen today. To be honest, I feel a little scared thinking of going to NYC, for example. LA or SF is fine, however. =Taihei
 
Last edited:
Kenwood Ltd ... The food processor was launched in 1950.

I recall when I was tiny - mid 1970s - we had a Kenwood dishwasher, so they got into "large appliances" at some stage.
I still have the epoxied wire 'drawers' from it that I now keep my PCB-making dishes in.
 
Don't feel bad, Suzuki-San, a LOT of us feel "A LITTLE scared" going to The Big Apple...My wife & I went thru there this past summer, the sat-nav on our car quit, & left us high & dry in The Bronx, I think...I'm not sure all the "people" we saw were HUMANS..(grin)...I got behind 2 female NYC cops in a gas station/market, & they were speaking some language that I had NO IDEA what it was...I can usually "pick out" what people are talking, & can at least identify it as Spanish, French, German...But whatever these 2 ladies were speaking, I had NO clue...I think their eyes blinked from side to side, rather than up & down, too...
 
I seize what you mean... Sakamoto's SUKIYAKI to Japanese sounds the way as if American anthem were called "The Big Mac",,,,,,,, ...

It depends what generation you're from.

Ue o muite arukō (上を向いて歩こう), when first released in Japan (1961) was a typical recording for the times.

Suzuki-san, what kind of music do you listen too?


btw...I'm listening to Kyu's American release (1963) and I think it's pretty good. It has Japanese folk, pop as well as Western influences.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom