• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Intro with bonus: AU-517 power protection board blown F1

EvilFelix

New Member
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for years and decided to join. I have spent hours reading descriptions of problems and seeing the keen diagnostic minds here at work. I started out in electronics and even did a brief stint as an audio technician. Alas, this was in the 80s and I got sucked into the digital world. I always enjoyed messing with hardware best.
I have a Sansui 2000x that I bought new and is still working. I picked up a AU-517 about 12 years ago for a couple hundred bucks. It just needed some cleaning to be satisfactory. I use the 2000x as the preamp and run them both through an active crossover a buddy gave me in trade for some pc work. I run the 517 to power an old pair of sp1500 speakers while the 2000x runs a pair of mission model 70 speakers. Kind of a funky set up but hours of knob twiddling fun. To me it sounds pretty good.
Anyway, after a gratifying session of listening to an Ultravox/OMD tape, the power light on the 517 started flashing and I could hear the relay cycling on and off. Checking it out I found fuse F1 on the power protection board blown. Any thoughts on what causes this particular fuse to blow? Any thoughts on if it is worth repairing? I would have to take it to a shop for this a I just have too many other irons in the fire right now.
Thank you for your indulgence in reading all this and thanks in advance for any insights you might share with me.
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for years and decided to join. I have spent hours reading descriptions of problems and seeing the keen diagnostic minds here at work. I started out in electronics and even did a brief stint as an audio technician. Alas, this was in the 80s and I got sucked into the digital world. I always enjoyed messing with hardware best.
I have a Sansui 2000x that I bought new and is still working. I picked up a AU-517 about 12 years ago for a couple hundred bucks. It just needed some cleaning to be satisfactory. I use the 2000x as the preamp and run them both through an active crossover a buddy gave me in trade for some pc work. I run the 517 to power an old pair of sp1500 speakers while the 2000x runs a pair of mission model 70 speakers. Kind of a funky set up but hours of knob twiddling fun. To me it sounds pretty good.
Anyway, after a gratifying session of listening to an Ultravox/OMD tape, the power light on the 517 started flashing and I could hear the relay cycling on and off. Checking it out I found fuse F1 on the power protection board blown. Any thoughts on what causes this particular fuse to blow? Any thoughts on if it is worth repairing? I would have to take it to a shop for this a I just have too many other irons in the fire right now.
Thank you for your indulgence in reading all this and thanks in advance for any insights you might share with me.
Blown output transistor. It's a worthwhile unit, but has a lot that needs fixing.
 
No, I didn't do any voltage checks. I think it is probably an active component failure. Don't really have time to work on it, so I'm kind of stuck taking it in to shop. Workbench pretty crowded now. Other than blown output xsistor, I guess you are referring to replacing dried caps, etc. Any advice on what else I should have them do while they have it opened up? Thanks.
 
Ivandezande- I see your in the Twin Cities- I'm a Minnesota native myself and lived by Lake of the Isles for years off Lake street in Mpls.
 
Blown fuse may be output issue though protection cycling seems odd in that situation.

That series of units is known for bad fusistors and corrosive glue problems.

After wearing out the screws on AU-717 trying to do fixes, I now only do total rebuilds on them. By the time you tear them apart and hunt down the known trouble makers, you’re in place to just rebuild it and live happily ever after.

FWIW. I am over near Bismarck ND for a little while. I am rebuilding some things for the guys here. If you act fast, I can rebuild it for you.
 
blhagstrom-
Small world- I have relatives in Mandan. I live in Northern Missouri now. There is a shop in St. Louis that specializes in vintage gear, so I will probably go that route. Thanks, though. Fortunately, the 2000x drives my sp-1500s effortlessly to a pretty high level. One of my best investments ever.
 
Back
Top Bottom