• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Introduction

Ski22

New Member
Good Afternoon-
I'm brand new and wanted to say hello before jumping right into my question/problem.

I've never really considered myself an "audiophile"; I don't have the most discerning ear and I generally listen to my music loud until someone in the house requests a break. My list of equipment will attest to my listening style. I purchased everything new way back when I was in the military and I just brought the old gear out after a 7 year slumber. All Yamaha:

M85 Amp
C85 Control Amp
K1020 Cassette (x2) - That was the thing to do back then...
EQ500 Equalizer
DT60 Timer
S300 CD - Just added

I'm looking for some restoration parts for the C85. Any gurus and parts people out there?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for the welcome aboard.

I'll try to keep this brief. I've tried to keep this equipment nice through the years and I've fallen victim as many do to a repair shop, it happens. I'm new in town and I took it to the "best" around based on internet reviews. I took the cover off the C-85 after noticing the power switch was "arcing" (crackling and flickering lights). Shop agreed it was a bad switch and stated there was a factory recall (which I was never aware of) and there is no replacement stock available anymore. I agreed to bypass the switch as I can use my timer to power things on and off.

I get it home and noticed the plastic was cracked on all 4 mounting screws on the bottom that attach the cover. He claims the plastic fell apart. I call bs as it has only been off twice and I know I didn't crack it. I believe he was heavy handed on reassembly. Whatever...his word against mine. So albeit the amp isn't worth much, it's valuable to me as I bought it new. I'm looking for the plastic side supports that run front to back and an oem power switch. Probably more work to change it all out than it's worth but would like the option. Otherwise it works great, I'm just weird about this stuff.

Thanks,
Ski
 
He claims the plastic fell apart. I call bs as it has only been off twice
Those plastic side rails were a bad idea. 90% of the C-80/85/60/65 control amplifiers I have worked on have broken plastic where the top cover screws are fastened. So your tech most likely is telling you the truth.
 
Understood about the rails, just accept it as bad material and let it go? With regards to the switch, did they recall them? What kinda of dough for a replacement? Sorry for all the questions.
 
Why not just replace it with the best fitting DPDT toggle switch which will be 100X more durable than the cheap on/off switch Yammy used.
 
Why not just replace it with the best fitting DPDT toggle switch which will be 100X more durable than the cheap on/off switch Yammy used.
1. OEM is a push button switch.
2. A toggle switch would look like ass.
 
Welcome Yammie brother, I too had the K1020 in my Yammie arsenal, it died years ago but it was a very nice player for the time.
 
1. OEM is a push button switch.
2. A toggle switch would look like ass.
Ass is in the eye of the beholder. It seems they cost too much to be used in the design of even hi end gear. A toggle switch will probably perform when we are both dead. That's why they are used by industrial mfgs.
 
Back
Top Bottom