• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is $150 CAD for a Dual 604 worth it?

Rjlowe88

New Member
Hey I am looking at a Dual 604 for $150 CAD. According to the owner it has been sitting for 40 years and belonged to his Grandpa. Not sure what cartridge it has. He sent a video of the TT plugged in and the platter spins up when the arm is moved over it. Don’t have a way to test it. Any insights appreciated. I am relatively new to the world of vinyl. Thanks!52790156-45AB-4146-AB3D-F9DFB2B094D7.png1FCAF960-F858-42A5-8C4A-C58A8E67B9F6.pngECB4CD46-B61F-4329-BE03-E074DAA5E35A.png
 
Register to hide this ad
I would really want to know what cartridge is on it. That can swing the deal from so-so to excellent. That also looks like a Pioneer 45 adapter on it, which sell on the bay for $40 to $50 US. So buy it, sell the adapter and after fees you have about a $100 table. Ya want that adapter, not a sub!
 
Thanks.
I would really want to know what cartridge is on it. That can swing the deal from so-so to excellent. That also looks like a Pioneer 45 adapter on it, which sell on the bay for $40 to $50 US. So buy it, sell the adapter and after fees you have about a $100 table. Ya want that adapter, not a sub!

What cartridge should I be looking for? I am going to see it tomorrow morning?
 
Thanks.


What cartridge should I be looking for? I am going to see it tomorrow morning?
So many carts, nobody can say look for x cartridge. I would hope to see a well known brand such as Shure, Ortofon, AT, Empire or Pickering, etc. Does not mean that others are not great, there are just so many options. Do check if the stylus is original and seems to be in good condition.
 
For new cartridge, the best bang is the ATVM95, lots of stylus upgrades.

People on AK are raving about the new Grado black 3 and Opus.
 
Might want to verify that the pitch control works too. I thought it was belt driven (it’s a control pot) but they can get erratic with age. Usually a clean & flush will fix that but it wouldn’t hurt to be sure.
 
Last edited:
I checked the cartridge and it is a Pickering XV-15/625E cartridge. Is that a good thing?

Good cart to use yourself, or if looking at value wise, with a bad stylus it sells for $50ish US$. Between the Pioneer 45 adapter ($40-$50US) and the cart, you have $90 to $100 US in value. The table is $150 CDN or about $115 US so the deal is a good one. But be sure to get that Pio 45 adapter :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom