• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is buying scratch & dent JBL L100 Classics a death wish?

True. But I don't think you can get away from value questions - the OP asked if, in the condition the speakers are in, whether they are worth buying. Which isn't just a matter of whether dinged corners affect sound quality - probably not - but they certainly do affect the looks, which is a meaningful part of expensive speakers' appeal (especially a style statement like the L 100). It is also a matter of what the same amount of money might buy - there are other speakers the OP could consider. And given that apparently he hasn't heard them and may not like them as much as hoped, reselling might be an important consideration.
 
The OP didn't state that he is looking for an investment opportunity.

It seems his concern is whether or not the physical damage to the enclosures compromises the performance of the speakers.
Still, when one invests in high end audio, they should expect some ability to move them on in the future. Some level of investment. This pair is specifically challenged.

The the point about long term is very apt. The hype around the reissue of the jbls, and the klh 5, and others; is just not likely to retain value as the originals have. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.
 
Well, mea culpa, egg on my face etc. I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that JBL resissued the Centuries. But actually, my opinion is the same either way. To my mind, an damaged version of an expensive reissue of a classic that isn't even like the classic is a dubious purchase, both in terms of sound for the money and in terms of collectibility. I may be wrong, but I doubt that twenty years from now audiophiles will be salivating over the reissue - the original, however, is cool for all sorts of reasons, and for the right kind of music and listener, it's an exciting speaker. A modern, version, which, if A23gt is correct doesn't even sound the same, probably won't stand out among the large number of expensive, good, and not distinctive speakers on sale now.

I don’t know how you missed this, but the new L100 is quite good from what I understand. There was quite a bit of fanfare surrounding the release of the “Classic.”
 
Well, mea culpa, egg on my face etc. I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that JBL resissued the Centuries. But actually, my opinion is the same either way. To my mind, an damaged version of an expensive reissue of a classic that isn't even like the classic is a dubious purchase, both in terms of sound for the money and in terms of collectibility. I may be wrong, but I doubt that twenty years from now audiophiles will be salivating over the reissue - the original, however, is cool for all sorts of reasons, and for the right kind of music and listener, it's an exciting speaker. A modern, version, which, if A23gt is correct doesn't even sound the same, probably won't stand out among the large number of expensive, good, and not distinctive speakers on sale now.
I can imagine the Paragon collector's position when the DD67000 came out. Or even the 4345. For several decades JBL has been producing outstanding speakers which eventually became collectible classics. The trick is figuring out which will be the next.

I own an original in-line pair of L100 Centuries, the exact pair I first heard in 1971. I never liked them but I still own them for the icons they have become. But I would never understand had JBL simply offered a reissue of these today when they had so much room for improvement. There have been many finer JBLs to listen to since then, most of which go for far less then a good pair of L100s go for today. It's not rational. I also have a pair of L112 I've owned since new. It would seem the enthusiast community's opinion of these has finally caught up to mine! It would be interesting to put those up against the "new" "Classic" L100.

I was late to the party on other newer JBLs but now own a perfect pair of 250ti and appreciate their reputation. My 4345s are reproductions but the sound is the purpose. I have no doubt that the "new" L100 "Classic" will be a highly sought-after collectible in the future—once the price drops closer to several hundred instead of several thousand. And I'm still waiting for those DD67000 to get to the price I paid for my 4345s.

I'll find room somehow!

JBL Basement updated.jpg
 
I’ve been lusting after a pair of JBL L100 classics for a while now but the price tag is more than I can afford.

Queue finding a gentleman selling various cabinets being sold with no-returns that were “damaged during shipping”. Pictures are attached. He says the speakers work and sounds great. Price is $2k shipped for a pair.
are those the only photos he sent you?
What do you guys think, would this kind of damage make you run for the hills, or is it reasonable to gamble here?
depends on the seller
AFAIK JBL L100s are not an acoustic suspension design, so damage to the integrity of the cabinet, even at the corners, shouldn’t matter?? I’m also not sure what type of damage would cause splitting like that… Humidity?
looks to be cosmetic only, need more photos
It’s either this or I was going to pivot to Lintons/the new Leak Sandwich 250s.
I personally would be more inclined toward the Lintons and spend $2K for a pair of genuine JBL's if they come up locally.

 
Last edited:
IMHO for that price, I would keep looking.
Like them or not, JBL's keep their value more than most brands.
But only in Great shape. These are not.,
No doubt he got paid for shipping damage.
I wouldn't even pay 1/2 the ask.

x2.
 
Are the new JBL L100 really that bad? I thought they voiced the new ones to be more accurate than the original release.
Are they just a nostalgia money grab, and not worth half their retail price?

I don’t know enough about them myself to have an opinion.
They did. But that couldn't have been a tough task.
I still see these as having a huge nostalgia tax. Of course they are worth the retail price for those who buy them. They sell / sold like crazy but I'm seeing more and more on the used market so the prices would probably have to drop quite a bit more for the sellers to succeed.
 
JBL screwed the pooch with the L100 re-issue.

Crazy expensive, and made in China? Sorry, you can only do one of these two things, but you cannot do both.

I'd imagine they sound good, but no thanks... I'd do the KLH 5 or the Wharfedale Lintons

(hugging my Northridge collection)
 
JBL screwed the pooch with the L100 re-issue.

Crazy expensive, and made in China? Sorry, you can only do one of these two things, but you cannot do both.

I'd imagine they sound good, but no thanks... I'd do the KLH 5 or the Wharfedale Lintons

(hugging my Northridge collection)
Yet they did and succeeded. I always find the used market the coming years after a launch a tell-tale of the quality and how "correct" the retail price was.
The new one is not gonna make it to cult status. It will however with time push prices for the original ones further up.
 
JBL screwed the pooch with the L100 re-issue.

Crazy expensive, and made in China? Sorry, you can only do one of these two things, but you cannot do both.

I'd imagine they sound good, but no thanks... I'd do the KLH 5 or the Wharfedale Lintons

(hugging my Northridge collection)

Is $4k really crazy expensive? How exactly did they screw the pooch? Every review I have read has expressed how good they sound.
 
Is $4k really crazy expensive? How exactly did they screw the pooch? Every review I have read has expressed how good they sound.
$4k - keep in mind, I remember when a new pickup truck cost $5000, and fantastic stereo speakers cost $800

Screw the pooch? I promise you, there is less than 1k$ in the hardware and less than $300 in the labor... some of us always have, and always will think of JBL as 'Made in USA Northridge, California"

How great they sound? I'm sure they do

Here is the important point of all of this: it is ok for us to disagree, and we probably will not change each other's mind (and that is also ok)
 
$4k - keep in mind, I remember when a new pickup truck cost $5000, and fantastic stereo speakers cost $800

Screw the pooch? I promise you, there is less than 1k$ in the hardware and less than $300 in the labor... some of us always have, and always will think of JBL as 'Made in USA Northridge, California"

How great they sound? I'm sure they do

Here is the important point of all of this: it is ok for us to disagree, and we probably will not change each other's mind (and that is also ok)
From what I’m seeing the drivers are made in USA Northridge, California, but the cabinets are Chinese. A shame they didn’t do the whole thing in the US.
 
Didn’t Jbl Completely shut down all production
At the Northridge location?
And make just the premium drivers and components in Mexico?
Toddalin Im sure knows this
 
$4k - keep in mind, I remember when a new pickup truck cost $5000, and fantastic stereo speakers cost $800

Screw the pooch? I promise you, there is less than 1k$ in the hardware and less than $300 in the labor... some of us always have, and always will think of JBL as 'Made in USA Northridge, California"

How great they sound? I'm sure they do

Here is the important point of all of this: it is ok for us to disagree, and we probably will not change each other's mind (and that is also ok)

I’m not trying to be combative in the least! That said, $800 in 1975 is more than $4,500.00 today. I’m not suggesting that $4k is chicken scratch, but really good gear costs money, and likely even more so due to the unpopularity of two-channel stereo. Of course their costs are low compared to their MSRP, that’s just business…
 
Is $4k really crazy expensive? How exactly did they screw the pooch? Every review I have read has expressed how good they sound.
Would the price tag be the same without the heritage hype?

Actually.. -Would the reviews be the same without the heritage hype? :idea:
 
Yet they did and succeeded. I always find the used market the coming years after a launch a tell-tale of the quality and how "correct" the retail price was.
The new one is not gonna make it to cult status. It will however with time push prices for the original ones further up.
God, will the lust after the mediocre original L100 never end?
It even permeates the discussion about a fine speaker only recently brought to market from the designer who brought us the L7 and L5.

To state my boni fides, here are the first pair of original L100s I ever heard, and that I still own.
Don't really like them but I keep them for the icons that they are.
JBL L100 finished.jpg

And next are just a few of my other JBLs to add context.
JBL Basement updated.jpg
 
You all have given me much an more to think on. I appreciate everyone's comments.

My biggest enemy at this stage, as ever, is ignorance. I simply am not familiar enough with the wide variety of vintage offerings out there, that I'm sure would blow the L100 Reissues out of the water. Certainly open to any specific recommendations people may have?

As far as modern, I've now shifted to looking at Heresy IVs or the L100 Classic's little brother, the L82... Which I'm told may be better in smaller spaces anyways.

@BMWCCA (I am the proud owner of a 1990 325i btw ;)) that is quite the collection!
 
You all have given me much an more to think on. I appreciate everyone's comments.

My biggest enemy at this stage, as ever, is ignorance. I simply am not familiar enough with the wide variety of vintage offerings out there, that I'm sure would blow the L100 Reissues out of the water. Certainly open to any specific recommendations people may have?

As far as modern, I've now shifted to looking at Heresy IVs or the L100 Classic's little brother, the L82... Which I'm told may be better in smaller spaces anyways.

@BMWCCA (I am the proud owner of a 1990 325i btw ;)) that is quite the collection!

Those L100 Classics are quite good. Don’t be discouraged by the sometimes disparaging remarks. I had a set of the original Heresies and try as I did, I could not warm up to them (fatigue inducing to the maximum and weak bass extension). How big is the room?
 
I'm not sure how many of us here have ever heard either of the new "Classic" series from JBL, the L100 "Classic" or the L82, to actually help you in your decision. I could walk into the local Crutchfield store and buy a pair on the spot with the ability to return them within 60-days and that would certainly answer the question. Not sure if it's worth the trouble or if my influence would have any bearing on your opinion or that of others. Frankly I would be surprised if they could play with my 250ti, but I'd love to be surprised.

43-years ago when I wanted a pair of bedroom speakers, my local JBL dealer sold me my L112s, saying they would blow away my JBL 030 in C37 boxes. They didn't. But the L150A comes a lot closer. And that doesn't mean the L112 isn't a great speaker, or worth the $900 I paid for them 43-years ago. Over the years, many have expressed their preference for the JBL 10-inch 3-ways over the 12-inch 3-ways comparing the 4410 to the 4412. I have 4412A, L112, L96, and L80T. Being able to play them together does not take in to account the room characteristics of those who prefer the 10-inchers, but as good as the L96 is in nearly any room, the L112 is better in many others. The 4412A doesn't make me dislike my L112 and, in fact, I hardly ever play the 4412A. And the L80T which is about as close to the driver complement of the 4410 and L96 as you're gonna get in vintage JBLs, have proven so underwhelming even after tweaking them with Gordon's mods that I bought another pair to try with the same results. I gave out one pair on indefinite loan to a friend and the other pair now sits awaiting a re-foam that I'm just not excited enough about to put it at the head of the queue.

So, for me, the larger the woofer, the more I enjoy them. Sure, the smaller 3-way in your room will likely sound fantastic, just don't disadvantage it by trying the 12-inch in the same room. I still haven't put the 250ti in the same room as my 4345s, and maybe I don't really want to know what that outcome would be.

:beerchug:
 
Back
Top Bottom