Is Demagnetization in Alnico Drivers Ever a Real Problem?
Klipsch user here and their older Heritage gear (Klipschorns, LaScalas, Heresy's) all use Alnico drivers. Most of mine are 20-35 yrs old now. I think older Altec-Lansing drivers were also alnicos. An old article found via a search for the Altec 511 horn and Voice of the Theatre speakers (VOTT) mentioned that demagnetization could be a reason for some speakers to sound bad.
A wiki search for alnico confirms this: "This means alnico can produce a strong magnetic flux in closed magnetic circuit, but has relatively small resistance against demagnetization."
Has anyone ever tested the old alnicos? I am not even sure how to test them. If they were out of spec, how would you re-magnetize them to factory spec?
Hope I posted this to the correct forum. Thx
Klipsch user here and their older Heritage gear (Klipschorns, LaScalas, Heresy's) all use Alnico drivers. Most of mine are 20-35 yrs old now. I think older Altec-Lansing drivers were also alnicos. An old article found via a search for the Altec 511 horn and Voice of the Theatre speakers (VOTT) mentioned that demagnetization could be a reason for some speakers to sound bad.
A wiki search for alnico confirms this: "This means alnico can produce a strong magnetic flux in closed magnetic circuit, but has relatively small resistance against demagnetization."
Has anyone ever tested the old alnicos? I am not even sure how to test them. If they were out of spec, how would you re-magnetize them to factory spec?
Hope I posted this to the correct forum. Thx