• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is it a fair trade? McIntosh Mc7300 + 1G for Marantz 2500

vaathi

baski
Subscriber
Hi all..
I have an offer of my Mc7300 + 1000 bucks for Marantz 2500.. Am I getting a fair trade in here. Thanks for your help in advance. I need to make the call tomorrow.

Regard
 
Register to hide this ad
I think it all depends on the condition of your amp and the receiver in question. The 2500 can easily fetch $3500.00 if in good condition.



Regards Snow
 
A Marantz 2500 alone is not worth a thousand bucks....

Seek and Ye shall find a 2500 for less than 500 samolians my good man ! Definitely, haste makes waste and there is more than one 2500 on the planet. I know prices for equipment in Frisco are high but you checkout the Craigslist for Portland Oregon or Salem....even Tacoma-Seattle are so much cheaper and just a 24hour ride away if you have a lead foot !
 
Perhaps not to you but I will happily buy all the good condition 2500's you can find for 1k each :)



Regards Snow
 
Hi all..
I have an offer of my Mc7300 + 1000 bucks for Marantz 2500.. Am I getting a fair trade in here. Thanks for your help in advance. I need to make the call tomorrow.

Regard

Which basically translates to paying $3,000 for the Marantz receiver.

The answer depends on the condition of the Marantz - both operable and especially, cosmetic. In all fairness, it also depends on the condition of the 7300 for that matter.

Performance & capability wise, there is no comparison between Marantz' amplifier section and the MC 7300 and most would consider the move from separates to a receiver a step backwards. I also suspect the Marantz to be far more difficult to service being a large receiver with a lot of features.

From a purely logical standpoint, I would lean against the proposed transaction.
 
Last edited:
I'd keep the 7300. You will miss the meters more then the added scope in the Marantz be my guess.


Even if the 1K stayed in your pocket I'd keep the 7300, to much going on under the hood on the Marantz to worry about.

Just my $0.02.....



Barney
 
:wtf:

Oh hell no, bias alert!!!! I would never trade a mac 300 watt power amp for any receiver. And on top of that they think you need to add a 1000 bucks, LMAO that should be reversed.

lets add some more :wtf::wtf::wtf:


Some people want, buy and collect audio equipment on nostalgia and nothing to do with sound quality and performance, and that's fine. Some of the prices for nostalgia, rarity and collect-ability are way way over priced in the real world of performance and SQ.
 
Last edited:
I would not do that trade even if it were a heads up trade or the Marantz guy kicked in the 1,000. Unless I owned 2 7300 which i believe can be run in mono for more power. Then the answer would be definately no!! If you are more concerned about investment or sonics then marantz will probably have better return over the long run...
 
This is a case of the Pio/Mar/Sui Tax really showing the disparity of the value of nice vintage gear. Not my money, not my choice, not my lust causing unusual valuations of old gear. The 2500 a $1600 list price unit in 77-79 probably selling for a bit less vs. a $3400 McIntosh from 91. Unless you need to unload the 7300 or must have a 2500 this is all out of wack for a trade. Has the 2500 been completely rebuild to last? That is over a $1000 bill for that work and it probably needs it by now. The McIntosh, not so much.

If you have to give the grand, use it to buy the tuner and preamp that will set you up with a McIntosh 300 wpc power amp driven system which is way better than any receiver driven system, unless you don't like the sound of the McIntosh.

This is not a case of wondering which is going to hold its value better, they both will. As for speculation on value increases, I got no idea. Wonder why @Snow would buy all he could, just to flip or does he desire a pile of 2500s in his collection?

It is true, you can find that receiver for well less than a grand. I was offered a fully functioning 4400 in very nice condition for very low 3 digits. Deals are out there, take luck and time to find them. This swap not one of them.
 
Wonder why @Snow would buy all he could, just to flip or does he desire a pile of 2500s in his collection?

I/QUOTE]I would buy all I could to flip of course, the TOTL and 2nd in line TOTL receivers are gaining much faster in resale value then the 7300 is or most other amps for that matter. It would not surprise me at all to see the 2500 average price double in 10 years. I can remember not that long ago selling upper end Pioneeer and Marantz receivers for about 25% of what they are selling for today and thinking then I got a very good price for them.

As others have stated if you are trading for collecting or future resale then fine if to get better sound quality then no.


Regards Snow
 
And since that is so incredibly proposterous, I asked for clarification.

From a performance standpoint, you're most certainly correct.

However, the last Marantz 2500 sold on the auction site for $3,500 and it wasn't that nice...
 
And since that is so incredibly proposterous, I asked for clarification.
Why is that preposterous? From an audio performance standpoint or from a Financial standpoint? Odds are in 10 years a very nice 2500 will sell for double what a 7300 sells for, I know it may seem silly but back in 2007-8 I bought a Pioneer SX-1980 for $200.00 spent 1k in getting it restored sold it for 2k now the same unit in the same condition would easily bring 5k maybe 6k. I could likely buy 2- Spec- 1's 2-Spec-2's and 2-TX-9500's and have 1k left over from the sale of the SX-1980 Here are a few pics of it.

20110219205714679.JPG Picture20002.JPG


Regards Snow
 
Last edited:
^^^ this is the primary reason why I hold onto the #3 marantz 2385 it sells for about the same money as my mc2205 but doesn't sound as good. I bet it will outpace the 2205 as far as selling price over the next 10 yrs.
 
Why is that preposterous? From an audio performance standpoint or from a Financial standpoint? Odds are in 10 years a very nice 2500 will sell for double what a 7300 sells for, I know it may seem silly but back in 2007-8 I bought a Pioneer SX-1980 for $200.00 spent 1k in getting it restored sold it for 2k now the same unit in the same condition would easily bring 5k maybe 6k. I could likely buy 2- Spec- 1's 2-Spec-2's and 2-TX-9500's and have 1k left over from the sale of the SX-1980


Regards Snow

Yup. Performance/quality/etc and market value do not always go hand-in-hand in the vintage market.

It's also imperative that condition is known before an informed opinion can be rendered.

I wish the OP could give a better idea of his motivating factors. For example, is he looking to satisfy a nostalgic desire with the performance a lesser priority or what? That would also be helpful.
 
Last edited:
I thought we were talking about the here and now. Not what could be in the a future value in the years ahead. I will keep doing real estate and stocks for investments and audio as a hobby. One reason you can keep a unit one day to long, POOF and then only to have a parts unit.


Barney
 
@Snow - you do make a valid point as the MC7300 has not appreciated much in the last 10 years. If anything, they're selling for same money on average.

As someone that has bought, sold, and traded some 500+ pieces since the early '90s, I tend to follow the market on used gear - albeit that I'm semi-retired from that end of the hobby. I also tend to be incredibly patient when looking for a particular piece of gear (taking as much as 15 years to find it!) - so I'm in partial agreement with @Djcoolray in his assessment of the true market on Marantz 2500s albeit he's a bit conservative. Looking only at eBay resale values tends to skew judgement. Keep in mind, that from '99 to '02, I (damacman) personally enjoyed the highest resale prices on used McIntosh on eBay - even higher than Audio Classics. I attribute that primarily to my marketing techniques at that time and nothing more. I also encouraged the owner of Orion (Blue Books) to work in collaboration with online resellers in an effort to ascertain real values of used gear. [They ultimately collaborated with Audiogon.]

OP - it's your money. Spend it wisely.
 
The sad thing is the minimalistic approach....

I've passed on so many Pioneer/Marantz/Sansui receivers and I have a Marantz 2220b in the pantry with speaker wires going out into the garage.....I paid $68 for that unit a couple of months ago. I go to allot of estate sales where widows are selling things off quickly so they can go live with there kids. There are allot of older conservative people in the Pudget Sound Area and they could care less how much a bunch of kids are paying for something because their lives haven't changed in the past five decades. This area is a huge retirement community for people from the Midwest and the military. See, I'm not talking about going online to find something conveniently over priced and I feel sorry for those that base the price of something because of what dummies are paying online. An intelligent person shops around for the best price by the best possible means. Relying on an online service to provide a product at a much higher price then thinking its the norm is an entitlement issue of I want it now like a child. What kind of person bases his choices by what they would rather not do.....a fool and his money are soon parted !
 
Back
Top Bottom