• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is it harmful to connect a device with a Dac to another with a Dac?

OldStuff

Well-Known Member
I have a system that each speaker has it's own Dac and amplifier. This system is connected by Toslink cables only. I just noticed that I have a Raga CD player that appears to have a connection for a Toslink cable. Do I need to use a CD player that is without a Dac? Would it be harmful to connect one Dac to another?
 
Register to hide this ad
Would it be harmful to connect one Dac to another?

You cannot cascade DACs; the output of a DAC is Analogue, and cannot be connected to the Digital input of another DAC.

You cannot parallel the analogue outputs from two DACs, just as you cannot parallel any analogue sources.

You CAN take the digital output from one device (e.g. a CD player) and feed it into the digital input of another DAC.
 
Think of it this way: the DAC inside your CD player's only job is to CONVERT the digital signal being read off the CD to an analog signal. Typically, you'd then send that ANALOG signal out to either speakers or a receiver using standard red+white RCA cables right? Makes sense.

BUT -- if you're sending a DIGITAL signal out of your CD player (like, say, by using the TOSLINK output), then you're bypassing the internal DAC in your CD player altogether, and instead are directing that digital signal from the CD to an external DAC (in this case, inside your speakers, I suppose).

So as you can see, you're not actually "connecting" one DAC to another, as your CD player is simply routing the digital signal to a different DAC that just happens to live outside of its case rather than inside it.

We call this using your CD player as a "transport", and it's incredibly common.

Lots of people use their CD players to read the digital information off the disc, but prefer the sound of an external DAC to the internal one, and thus connect their CD player via a digital connection to that external DAC instead.
 
Good! If I understand you right...that means I can hook up my CD player to my system if I choose to. I wanted to ask before I did something stupid like blow up my system. I have no doubt that the DAC in my system will be much better than the one in my CD player. Thanks!
 
So.. you remembered. I retired, moved into a house that I have been trying to settle in. So, I have pieced together a stereo system with vintage parts that I have re-capped and got up and running. I had a gentleman here talked me into using an active crossover and that moved mountains. Lately, I have been working on my turntables... I now have a Dual 621 and a Pioneer pL-6A that I am now listening to. Finally, I get to listen to all those albums I save up over the years. Next project will be restoring my player piano.
 
Back
Top Bottom