• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is it possible to "score" a tube amp?

Not even in the electronic/repair/music shops or craiglist in this big city. Some years a go... yes....I replied to newspaper ads and bought tube amps on the cheap.

Now they are like the proverbial hen's teeth.:D

I would imagine that NYC is pretty picked over in general, like most big cities.
 
I scored a couple tube 'amps' today. Dirty and needing some paint and tlc but there are tubes in there. Just a couple pics of the two boards in the 'amps'.
attachment.php


The rightmost tube is bjorked, you know? Note that the getter is powdery white - there's air in the tube.

Where is/are the driver (voltage amp) stage(s) for the output tubes?
 
about 2yrs ago a widow put on san diego CL a mcintosh 275 - $100.00

My 1st thought was it was a joke or scam

I email her... the next day she replied with 'I'm sorry' because it took her that long to answer all replies even though the ad was up for only 2 hrs

Same, with a $25,000 system for $2,000. It sounded to good to be true.
I met the guy who got it. A week later he was just starting to realize his score. :D


Steve
 
It happens. I got a Dynaco SCA-35, Dynakit MkIV, two PAM-1's, Eico HF-20, and probably some other stuff for free. None of it's here anymore, but I did get it all for free.
 
SCA-35 on Freecycle. Heath W4M free from an electronics recycler. Other stuff for a buck or two at garage sales and auctions. Curbside consoles. Just keep your eyes peeled.
 
not too many years ago and fortunately for me, there were awesome deals to be found on craigslist daily, weekly at a minimum. And I mean unbelievable deals. But I just caught the tail end and in a matter of a few months everyone and their brother realized there was gold in them thar'; craigslist "vintage" audio ads and it didn't take too long before it turned basically into what it is today. Worked out well for me as I got to try out a ton of gear I never would have had a chance to otherwise. I would try it out and if it didn't fit into my plans, sell it and move on. Ended up building, what is for me anyway, a pretty decent system for not a whole lot of money (well, a few systems actually, tho I did learn I was not a "collector" and ended up selling my garage full of stuff and putting it towards one nicer main system)
BUT, tho not as easily found, I have no doubt the deals are still out there. You see people finding stuff all the time and posting on here. Wasn't tube stuff, but didn't someone just get a complete Spec system for basically nothing ?
I really have no interest in things which do not advance my main system anymore and as I am pretty pleased with it, I rarely even look anywhere. Even when the stuff was abundant, it did take a whole lot of time to find and get the stuff - often driving 3-4 hours one way then having to restore/repair it.
Takes work, but if you really, really want to find a decent deal, it is out there somewhere.
I now just leave things to the universe. Sort of put it out there and if it was meant to be, I will get it, otherwise I must not have needed it anyway.

If you really want to find something, will have to put in the hours going to every yard sale, flea market etc you can find. Question then becomes is it worth your time to do that ?
For me, as my main system got better, I had less and less desire and as the hours spent looking went down, the gear I found obviously went down.
Yes, in a way i was a fluipper as I bought a ton of things knowing I could sell them on ebay for a nice profit and I used all of that money to buy something better. But trust me, was not easy work at all. It really did take an enormous amount of time finding it and then going to get it.
Sure people stumble on things all of the time. I did quite a few times. But if you really want a "score", for the most part you have to put in the hours.
I was (am) retired so could look all day long. Now, could not tell u the last time I even looked at craigslist for anything audio or stopped anywhere to look for something.
best bet would be some of the following
let friends and anyone possible know you do vintage audio for a hobby and would like to find an "old" tube amp.
smaller estate sales that really are not advertised. many people do audio now for a living and if it is in the paper there is a good chance there will be a dozen guys there to bid on it or check it out. Look for the smaller ones where they really do not list everything , maybe not even the audio stuff. That is where you may find that old marantz tube amp for $100.00
Did I say ask friends :)

basically just how hard you want to work to get that "lucky" score. I had my share of lucky ones, but most had nothing to do with luck
 
Picked up a McIntosh 275 original model with a 113 preamp/tuner for $105 at a antique furniture auction a few years ago, my mom even payed for it because I took her. It was a good day.
 
Got my all original, working Eico HF-81 at a church rummage sale for $1. I was very lucky. :yes:

My Scott 299a and 350 tuner came from a Church yard sale as well. To answer the OPs question, great bargains on tube gear are found by AK'ers on a regular basis.


(Oh good, another chance for me to show my score.):D
Scott299350.jpg
 
Last edited:
It definitely still happens. Just a week ago, I was participating in the morning rush at a local antique radio swap meet, when I spotted a familiar looking tube cage and chassis. It turned out to be a Dynaco Mark III, and after waiting a few minutes for the seller to get back from his car, he pointed out a second Mark III, as well as a ST-35, which were hidden by some test equipment. I asked him what he was looking to get, and he started rattling off some numbers which seemed low. For clarification, I asked him what he wanted for all three, and the response was $60. :yikes::eek: With sharks circling behind me offering to double the seller's money, I got my wallet out as fast as I could, and made a mad dash to my car while dodging offers from onlookers. I spent the rest of the swap meet with a wide grin on my face, wondering how it'd happened. :D
-Adam
 
The late 70s and 80's were a great time to find tube gear for nothing. Now the stuff is scarce or quite pricey. There will always be that lucky score, but you have to work a lot of garage sales and estate sales to find them. They will likely be in need of repair, but if the iron is good, it is cheap and easy to fix them.

When I was getting equipment in the 80's, I didnt give tube stuff a second look. No one wanted to wait for the stereo to warm up so we could hear music! Besides tube stuff didnt have all the knobs and switches our ss stuff did.

Looking back to those days....I could have had the best tube stuff for nothing! I have one tube receiver now. I am glad I have it.
 
It definitely still happens. Just a week ago, I was participating in the morning rush at a local antique radio swap meet, when I spotted a familiar looking tube cage and chassis. It turned out to be a Dynaco Mark III, and after waiting a few minutes for the seller to get back from his car, he pointed out a second Mark III, as well as a ST-35, which were hidden by some test equipment. I asked him what he was looking to get, and he started rattling off some numbers which seemed low. For clarification, I asked him what he wanted for all three, and the response was $60. :yikes::eek: With sharks circling behind me offering to double the seller's money, I got my wallet out as fast as I could, and made a mad dash to my car while dodging offers from onlookers. I spent the rest of the swap meet with a wide grin on my face, wondering how it'd happened. :D
-Adam

And the cops are still looking for him on theft of these pieces. If you see this man...please call crimes stoppers. You may be able to get a 1000.00 reward for information on this person. Remember crimestoppers only wants the info...not your name! :lmao:

That was the deal of all deals that day Adam! Glad you made it outof there without getting mugged by a 100 audio geeks!
 
I was lucky enough to find my grandpa's McIntosh 30's and Scott 355 before any of my uncles did while I was helping to move him into assisted living. They had been collecting dust on a shelf for quite some time... It's usually a matter of being at the right place at the right time.
 
Have not been lucky enough to find just a tube amp, yet, but about four years ago I found a Voice of Music 564 Hi Fi consolette tube phonograph from a St. Vincent 2nd hand store, in excellent condition. I think I paid $35.00 for it. It was built around 1959. I've only plugged it in once. It worked. I'm waiting for some experience to get in there and clean it and so forth.

S.J.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom