• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is more power better? (Thule IA100 vs IA350B driving JBL Ti10K)

LordLunatic

Member
So I recently switched to using a Thule IA100 (100w/pc) to drive my Ti10K's, with very good results. Now I've got a chance to grab an IA350B (350w/pc balanced), but having never really experimented much with amps and such, I'm curious if it will be worth the upgrade? The JBL's rated at 10-400w and 91dB efficiency.

The IA100 doesn't seem to have "problems" driving them as such, and the bass hits hard and controlled, but I could wish for a fuller/weightier sound... i.e. more mass/low mids.

Hope someone with more experience than me has got some ideas :)
 
Register to hide this ad
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/jbl/ti10k/prd_119771_1594crx.aspx

I'd go for it. My relatively sensitive speakers "woke up" going from 40 to 120 WPC, and a noticeable bit more going to 220 WPC, each time going with newer, higher end amps as well.

Then the question really becomes if the thule is the right one for the job. Another option would be to save up a bit and get something bigger/heavier like an old Krell KSA150 or Mark Levinson 23. They're technically less powerful, but weighing twice as much or more and running pure class A. They are also older though - and I find a lot of vintage gear I've heard to be less refined/precise, but pleasant...
 
Just a follow up for anyone looking for info on the Thule amps, the IA350B sounded notably less clear/resolving than the IA100 stranglely - they sounded very similar in terms of tonality/presentation, however in terms of technical performance, it sounded like the IA100 was the flagship, and the IA350B the entry level model... Which was very odd to me. But there we are. Still have the IA100, and sold the 350 almost immediately after getting it. It did have lots of power though, should one really need it - but with all of my speakers the IA100 was clearly superior.
 
Back
Top Bottom