• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is my vintage Shure cartridge toast?

eh eh ron

New Member
Hello, pretty new to turntables and home audio in general. I’m an electrician by trade and a tinkerer by nature, so I’m familiar with tech troubleshooting and have some experience with electronics. I’m still learning to dial in my turntable actually (got me one of them fancy mirror alignment/overhang gauges… thoughts?) but couldn’t help but dive into the deep end while I’m still learning to swim.

So my old turntable came with a Shure V15 type IV cartridge installed, and the left channel plays at very low volume—so low it seems not to play at all. When I investigated with the receiver balance control I found that L does play, but with a thin frequency range (mostly mids and low treb I think). Maybe the EQ effect is just due to the low signal level failing to push the preamp?

The first thing I did to try and fix it was swap out the head shell, and the turntable plays fine with a new cartridge. But the Shure cartridge is so friggin cool! So I found a found a cheapo stylus to replace the old Shure one for testing (NOS and the like are available but expensive…only going there if I get it working). Not surprisingly, it wasn’t the needle.

The head shell seems to be the one that came with the turntable (Sanyo TP-1010) , and looks comparable to the quality of the whole unit—low prosumer grade, good features with subpar materials. I noticed that the leads looked cheap, and I saw some oxidization on the pins of the cartridge and shell, so I fixed that. Cleaned the pins of the cartridge with deoxit red, and mounted it in a new head shell with new, lower gauge wires and gold connectors (only planned to swap the leads, but this stuff is so inexpensive it seemed easier to just eliminate another variable with a new shell).

Tried the thing again and…….. no difference. New stylus, new leads, new headshell, clean pins; this feels like the point where I sharpie NFG on the cartridge and move on. But it’s so cool! I’m posting here as a Hail Mary as I sip my morning Adderall—is there anything I haven’t thought of? It seems like I’ve tried everything short of cracking the plastic open, but it wouldn’t be the first time I overlooked an obvious solution because I was focusing in the wrong direction (did I mention my ADHD?). I figured I could try reversing the leads to further confirm that it is the cartridge itself, but I can’t imagine how that would help me fix it.

Do me a favor and tell me the silly greenhorn mistake I’m making, will you?
 
Register to hide this ad
As an electrician you probably have a decent multimeter at hand, so I'd suggest to do, what would seem pretty obivious, namely measure and compare the resistances of the two coils/coil sets by applying the probes to the corresponding output pins (red and green for right signal/plus and signal ground/minus as well as white and blue for left signal/plus and signal ground/minus).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
As an electrician you probably have a decent multimeter at hand, so I'd suggest to do, what would seem pretty obivious, namely measure and compare the resistances of the two coils/coil sets by applying the probes to the corresponding output pins (red and green for right signal/plus and signal ground/minus as well as white and blue for left signal/plus and signal ground/minus).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I could do that, sure… but what would it accomplish? Seems to me that the best outcome I could hope for is to get different readings, confirming that the thing is dead. I was hoping someone could point me in another direction; you’re giving me a new way to test the same variable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Did you suspect the interconnect cables? I sure do.

I did, interconnects are what I referred to as “leads.” Sorry I don’t know all the standard terms. But yeah, after changing them for a new set and getting exactly the same result, I ruled them out. I suppose it’s feasible I could have gotten a similar issue in two sets of cables on the same channel…but it seems pretty unlikely to me.
 
I bought a Shure V15 IV off ebay - and when I went to use it - no sound from one channel - I then did the ohm test and found the side was dead.

I can now likely use as a neckless.

3LxG30d.jpg


The seller shipped me a new one free of charge so I tried all the suggested workarounds - like trying to flow solder into the rear pins - did no good.

There are how 2's on testing the continuity of the right and left channel - many for sale will show a picture of the results proving the cartridge is good. Or as @lini posted above.

Good luck!

Chris

Edit: My new one is a dream!

GVuwyZa.jpg
 
I could do that, sure… but what would it accomplish? Seems to me that the best outcome I could hope for is to get different readings, confirming that the thing is dead. I was hoping someone could point me in another direction; you’re giving me a new way to test the same variable.

Also, “…suggest to do, what would seem pretty obvious…?” Are you inferring something there? If I’m bothering you by asking for advice on a forum—please, feel free not to answer.

You're taking Manfreds post the wrong way. This is not that kind of forum.
I get your reaction tho. Some forums seem to attract mostly snarky posters & they can get your back up.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Shure V15 IV off ebay - and when I went to use it - no sound from one channel - I then did the ohm test and found the side was dead.

I can now likely use as a neckless.

3LxG30d.jpg


The seller shipped me a new one free of charge so I tried all the suggested workarounds - like trying to flow solder into the rear pins - did no good.

There are how 2's on testing the continuity of the right and left channel - many for sale will show a picture of the results proving the cartridge is good. Or as @lini posted above.

Good luck!

Chris

Edit: My new one is a dream!

GVuwyZa.jpg

You sure got lucky there.
Glad it worked out.
 
I will give the new member another chance to redeem himself and tell him that what Manfred said is standard procedure to determine if a cartridge is ok or "NFG". Hopefully an apology might follow.

Measure for resistance on each side or coil on what is essentially an electromagnetic generator. If you get a similar figure (several hundred ohms within a few percent) on each side the cartridge should be ok. If you have an open circuit on one side (infinite resistance) a wire is broken and the cartridge is dead.
 
Last edited:
Checking the cartridge coils is the first thing to do in troubleshooting a missing channel. If one is open, you have found your problem.

Doug
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If the cartridge multimeter/resistance check comes up ok, the problem might be in the headshell.
- Deoxit the cartridge leads to ensure they have a good connection.
- Check that the pins on the back of the headshell and inside the tonearm are clean and are making good contact.
 
Back
Top Bottom