• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

is onkyo a good brand?

BOSE uses a Onkyo receiver to power 901's in there outlet stores. They must be pretty good if BOSE thinks they can help them peddle new 901's
 
I had an Onkyo TX model (forgot which) a couple of years ago hooked up to my Mach 1's and for some reason it was a perfect match. I've had the Mach's hooked up to my 9090db and other Sansui's and Pioneers but they sounded better for some reason through the Onkyo. Just had a crisper , cleaner sound coming out of the horns. I gave it to my niece when she got married along with some EPI speakers.
 
i have a tx ds797 i bought new in 2002 from circuit city and it sounds good.six channels at 100 watts.7.1 if i hook up a separate amp to run the back channels.it has all channel stereo where it runs 4 speakers for music.i did see a recent post from an audio engineer,he bought a newer one,ht,and he noticed the base was off.after getting out his test equipment he discovered that below something like 100 hertz it was rolling off at twelve db.he said he called onkyo and finally they told him that since most ht's have satellite speakers that they design their receivers for them.full range floor standing speakers like we all like are not part of their design philosophy any more.he took it back and bought a denon.i was planning on getting another onkyo for hdtv until i read that now i'm thinking yamaha.
 
I've always had great results with Onkyo gear. I have an SV70PRO that I still use today as my primary 2 channel system. The phono preamp is quite good. I had an SV909PRO that was incredible. I sold it to a friend and get to hear it on a regular basis. Their newer stuff is very HT focussed - I have an 801 (forgot the full model number) as my main HT system and it is great. I've had a few Integra tape decks and they are still kicking strong with little maintenance. Also 3 or 4 CD and DVD changers are in use quite a bit of the time.

You can't beat it for $7.
 
I have two pre-owned vintage Onkyo receivers -- the first two Onkyo products that I ever owned. One is the 38w/c TX-26 from the mid '80s with a really funky, colorful, interesting display unlike anything I've ever seen. Like something from an airplane cockpit. The second is a 45w/c TX-910 from the early '90s and sporting a less interesting display. I've owned (and listened to) more than a dozen low-end to mid-range receivers in the past few years that included a '70s silver-faced Technics stereo receiver, a high-powered (but totally boring) Pioneer SX-4500S and quite a few AVRs that mostly had PHONO inputs.

The two vintage Onkyo units are my faves -- especially the TX-26. Very quiet. Some of the best bass I've ever heard. Good build quality. Decent phono stage. It just sounds terrific whether I'm listening to vinyl or digital music. Oh, and did I mention that cool display....?

I know you guys were talking mostly newer audio-video receivers. But I had to jump in because both of these Onkyos really surprised me. I'll always keep one of them in my home office.
 
You can see that people here rate Onkyo, Integra is their higher-end badge - most commonly used for AV receivers.
 
I am a big fan of Onkyo gear. I have an A5 integrated amp that's been in my family for 40 years, two C7030 CD players, and a P306RS pre amp running my living room system. Sounds great and dead reliable. My .02
 
Back
Top Bottom