• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is Shure V15 III suitable for Kenwood KD-990?

I purchased a Kenwood KD-990 in mint condition and now I'm looking for a cartridge for the TT. I'm thinking of getting a Shure V15 Type III + Ed Saunders stylus. Is this set suitable for the mentioned turntable?

Which one is better, a brand new Ortofon 2M Blue or a Shure V15 III/Ed Saunders combo? Both will cost nearly the same.

I'll appreciate any suggestion.
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know, but I think it would be a mismatch (compliance wise). The tonearm looks like a medium mass J-shape arm, while Shure likes a low mass arm. Maybe V15 Type 4 would work better with the brush down.

But like I said, this is just speculation.
 
If you're getting the V15III and want a cheap stylus, get the EVG instead of the Saunders.
 
Please post pics of your Kenwood KD-990.Would take the Shure over Ortofon Blue.Would buy a JICO HE or SAS as the 990 is worthy of such a upgrade.Not a huge fan of the saunders.The EVG mentioned above sounds great however I had a issue with one that sat way to low.It was NOS but maybe the suspension was low?
 
I'd also suggest to try something less compliant, like for example an Audio Technica AT120E or AT7V or maybe a new old stock Nagaoka OS200MP or OS300MP. Or maybe an AT-F3III, if you'd like to try a priceworthy low output MC.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
I've owned a 2M Blue and my V15-III/Jico SAS combo beats it all the way around. I'll even take my V-15 II/Jico SAS over the Blue. Just my opinion of course.
 
Thanks a lot for all your messages!

I've never heard about EVG brand. Where can I get it?

I was thinking about Shure X15 Type III because stylus low price. Ed Saunders and plain JICO stylus can be found as cheap as $30-40, whereas V15 III body would cost me $100. A V15 Type IV plus similar stylus would cost considerably more, about $200. Frankly speaking, I would like to avoid such expenditure as my budget is tight.

Other option I thought about is Audio Technica AT120E. So, at least, it's a better option than Ortofon 2M Blue, isn't it?

How about Nagaoka MP110 or MP150?

As regards real pictures of my KD-990, I'm not able to post them right now. Actually, my TT is transportation now (perhaps it's already on Brazilian Customs Clearence's care). Anyway, there're many available pictures on internet. Anyway, it'll be a pleasure to show its pictures here.
 
Thanks a lot for all your messages!

I've never heard about EVG brand. Where can I get it?

I was thinking about Shure X15 Type III because stylus low price. Ed Saunders and plain JICO stylus can be found as cheap as $30-40, whereas V15 III body would cost me $100. A V15 Type IV plus similar stylus would cost considerably more, about $200. Frankly speaking, I would like to avoid such expenditure as my budget is tight.

Other option I thought about is Audio Technica AT120E. So, at least, it's a better option than Ortofon 2M Blue, isn't it?

How about Nagaoka MP110 or MP150?

As regards real pictures of my KD-990, I'm not able to post them right now. Actually, my TT is transportation now (perhaps it's already on Brazilian Customs Clearence's care). Anyway, there're many available pictures on internet. Anyway, it'll be a pleasure to show its pictures here.

Regarding the cart-tonearm match, the AT120E seems a better choice than the Nagaoka MP150 ( http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6398793&postcount=5 ) for your Kenwood KD-990 ( http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=493240 ). Perhaps there are other carts that could be a good match to the rather heavy tonearm, stay within budget (200 $ ?) and better the AT120E.

I would exclude any high compliance cart given the large mass of the tonearm.
 
I have a KD-990 and have had both I know reviews are high on Ortofon 2m but I have had red and blue and not that inpressed. Right now I have V15III sounds great
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 15
I don't know, but I think it would be a mismatch (compliance wise). The tonearm looks like a medium mass J-shape arm, while Shure likes a low mass arm. Maybe V15 Type 4 would work better with the brush down.

But like I said, this is just speculation.

^^ I agree with this.

The V15-III is a wonderful cartridge (especially with a JICO SAS) but it is a high compliance cartridge and it likes a low mass tonearms.

I run a Denon DL-110 on my KD-550 (has the stock Kenwood tonearm) and it is a wonderful match. I think it woudl match up well with the KD-990.

The DL 110 is a high output moving coil that is compatible with moving magnet phono stages.

I think you might like this one :music:

good luck, Bob
 
Back
Top Bottom