• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is the SL-1900 every bit as good as a D2? Or is it lesser in sound quality?

Final_Baton

Well-Known Member
Hello again :) I've search the internet far and wide, as usual when I have a request. and couldn't find a definitive answer and hopefully I'll get one here from you wonderful people :)

I'm looking for a second TT and I have my eye on the SL-1900. I realllllllly dig the looks of this one (I got huh... a thing, for black Technics, you could say :oops: ) and also I'd love an automatic table as a second unit. I definitely don't trust my guests with cueing my $500 cart&stylus on the D2 :p too risky... an automatic TT would make me at ease here.

Now here's the gist of it : if the SL-1900 is just as capable as D2, then I'm getting one. (if it's say a hair lesser in the sonics department, then I might consider it too, we'll see).

I found reviews giving me a ballpark of what to expect, but I'd like to know how it compares to the D2 specifically (lesser, or equal). I even found a thread here on AK where the 2 models are mentionned in the title, but final verdict was not given.

So what do you guys say, regarding their sonics? and what about the 1900's tonearm quality, it's compliance etc. Is it the same tonearm as the D2? and the stock headshell is heavier on 1900, why is that exactly? It came with same cartridge (EPC-270C, which I have) AFAIK...
http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1900.html

the 1900 I'm looking at comes with a Shure M93E on stock headshell. But I'd be throwing the Nagaoka MP-200 on there.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Yep! had compared the specs already before making the thread. Looks like 1900 is a bit heavier, but is a bit more prone to rumble.

Somtimes it's not ALLwritten in the specs though, there might be details like quality/musicality of the tonearm that aren't addressed. And stuff like reliability, how quality is the motor etc THAT'S what I'm hoping others can fill me in :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
The specs on the "vintagetechnics.audio" site linked above are wrong.

Here are the specs coming from the legit manual :
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/946446/Technics-Sl-1900.html?page=11#manual

motor seems different according to this litterature. don't know how it affects things
in addition to 1900 being a bit heavier (7.2 kg vs 6.9) and a bit more subject to rumble (-73db vs -75)

there might be other details I haven't picked up on
 
Last edited:
I've really enjoyed my SL-1900 for the fully auto function, having purchased it a decade ago for appx. $25.00 at a garage sale(incl cart/stylus).

I recently switched out my Technics SL-1900 for my backup Sony PS-x7 due to the 1900 developing intermittent pitch changes, w/the plan on opening it up and deoxidizing all the pots in the near future.

The crazy thing is, the day after I set up the Sony the auto function cleverly stopped operating(discussion on another thread).
Long story short - when the Sony's touch start button is pressed the tonearm raises slightly and goes back to arm( anyone familiar with the Sony issue knows about the mysterious clicking sound). The crazier thing is that when I use it in manual mode the tonearm will return to arm rest at the end of the LP, rendering the Sony "semi-auto".

I like both turntables for the fully auto function although thinking back to my mobile/club Disco dj days starting in the 70's auto TT's were taboo, with as many of you know the standard being the SL-1200's. Since retiring from the music biz and laziness setting in the fully auto function on both TT's has come in handy.

My SL-1900 is probably due for a stylus change so if anyone has any budget recommendations for cart/stylus replacement that would be great.
Also, I'll try to post a photos of the current cart/stylus and the deck before opening it up.

Good luck on whatever TT you decide on. Under the current conditions it's a great time to chill out and listen to lots of vinyl. Bosa Nova anyone?

I'll try to update on whether the deoxit fixed the pitch controls in the near future.

Best regards to all and stay safe.
NJ
 
Two benefits of the 1900 is that it doesn't have the weak plasticky hinges that the D2 and its brethren have; and the cover is higher-quality plastic that can be more easily polished than the cheaper stuff used on later models like the D2.

Sound-wise, they're gonna be identical.

Operationally, too they will be identical. The SL-1900 was the SL-D2's father. Overall, the SL-1900 was better built by a bit in the plinth, dust cover, and hinge department.
 
As much as I like the SL-D2/Q2 and the lot, the SL-1900 hinges are the biggest improvements for durability. The hinges on the SL-D2 and the like aren't terrible but, they were prone to breaking due to poor storage/misuse.
 
If you like the black Technics models, you may also want to keep a look out for their Panasonic-made MCS brethren. The MCS 6602 is a hybrid between the SL-2000 (motor/platter/arm) and the SL-1900 (auto-return mechanism) and the MCS 6700 is an improved (and much better looking, IMHO) version of the SL-1950. These can usually be found for less than their Technics-branded siblings.
 
Back
Top Bottom