• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is the Sony PS-LX350H any good?

Owen Musser

New Member
I'm trying to get my first turntable. I found a Sony PS-LX350H in my parents' attic. Reviews seem to be neutral leaning negative... I tested it and it sounds ok, but I don't really know about this kind of thing. Is it worth it to search craigslist, etc. for a better turntable? Are there any upgrades that could make this one better? Thanks all

EDIT: link to specs https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-lx350h.shtml
 
Register to hide this ad
Owen: Oh, well, it's one of the earliest major-brand-labelled Hanpin Technics-SL12x0-look-alikes I'm aware of - see there: http://www.hanpin.com.tw/Products/02_BJ-25.html

Not sure, how much it was over in the US, but over here it seemed a bit too expensive to me for a belt-driven model with comparatively cheapish arm, especially as at that time the original Technics SL-12x0II was still available for roundabout twice as much (without cartridge, though, but good cartridges also still were quite a bit cheaper then...) - and at the time you could also still get a Technics SL-BD20 for less, which is at least as good as the PS-LX350H. So in my view that Sony simply wasn't a very attractive model, although it's certainly not the worst turntable one could imagine.

I'd suggest to consider trying it with a better, but still attractively priced cartridge like for example an AT-VM95ML. Then you could see, if that combination already plays nicely enough for your taste - if so, good, if not, you can still grab a more substantial, classic turntable model with better arm, that would also be well-suited for working with the AT-VM95ML, like for example a Technics SL-Q2, a Pioneer PL-510A, a JVC QL-F6 or a Dual CS604 just to name a few examples.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini


belated edit: typo extermination *sigh*
 
Last edited:
Owen: Oh, well, it's one of the earliest major-brand-labelled Hanpin Technics-SL12x0-look-alikes I'm aware of - see there: http://www.hanpin.com.tw/Products/02_BJ-25.html

Not sure, how much it was over in the US, but over here it seemed a bit too expensive to me for a belt-driven model with comparatively cheapish arm, especially as at that time the original Technics SL-12x0II was still available for roundabout twice as much (without cartridge. though, but good cartridges also still were quite a bit cheaper then...) - and at the time you could also still get a Technics SL-BD20 for less, which is at least as good as the PS-LX350H. So in my view that Sony simply wasn't a very attactive model, although it's certainly not the worst turntable one could imagine.

I'd suggest to consider trying it with a better, but still attractively priced cartridge like for example an AT-VM95ML. Then you could see, if that combination already plays nicely enough for your taste - if so, good, if not, you can still grab a more substantial, classic turntable model with better arm, that would also be well-suited for working with the AT-VM95ML, like for example a Technics SL-Q2, a Pioneer PL-510A, a JVC QL-F6 or a Dual CS604 just to name a few examples.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into cartridges!
 
I have repaired several of these Chinese-made Sony tables. When they are set up correctly and using a good cartridge, they sound incredibly good compared to other more expensive tables. After disassembling these tables, I was astounded at the cheap parts, almost all plastic, used in the construction. It has to use the smallest motor that I've seen in a good-quality belt drive model. Apparantly, engineers have figured out how to make a turntable from the least expensive parts available, and have it operate and sound good. No small achievement! My major complaint is the anti-skating adjustment. On all the models brought in for service, usually broken belts, none of them had an effective anti-skate correction. The 350H utilizes a "cat's whisker" filament spring to press against the tonerm pivot to counteract the inward force pulling the arm toward the spindle. However, on none of the models that I repaired did the adjustment have any effect. The units came shipped with Audio-Technica AT3600 magnetic cartridges, which were the least expensive magnetic available, costing approx. $17. in 2000. When replaced with an upgrade cartridge, properly adjusted for overhang, tracking error (null points), and generally 2 grams tracking force, these tables sound very good. They had a MSRP of $250. in 1999-2000. You could get them from J&R in New York for around $175. I fixed one last month and except for the bad belt, it worked perfectly. The sticker on the back said "April 2001". Not bad for a 22 year old table. The table appears to be heavy, but this is due to a large flat steel plate in the bottom section of the base. For the money, I give it a B+. If the anti-skating was working, I'd give it an A-
 
Back
Top Bottom