• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is the Sumo Polaris original really hard to fix? Should I steer clear or not worry?

Alkeys

Active Member
So I've read various things about the Sumo Polaris amplifier and apparently there as the original a Sumo Polaris II and a Sumo Polaris III.

There's a shop with a beautiful Sumo Polaris (original not the II or III)
and I'm wondering if I should stay away from it because I've heard that if I ever need to get it fixed, the original Sumo Polaris is harder to get fixed than the II or the III.

I'd like someone who knows to clarify, is this really true? Are there parts in the Sumo Polaris that are unobtainable? Or is it just like any other solid state amp?

I'm trying to avoid buying something that has special proprietary parts that would be hard to get fixed if I ever need to get it fixed.

Thanks guys
 
Register to hide this ad
I think these were post Bongiorno. From my rustling around diyaudio.com in the past, I seem to recall the two main issues with post Bongiorno Sumo's seem to be finding compatible replacement MOSFETs (especially TO-3s) and sometimes the op-amps. There's a SUMO Polaris 310 schematic up on the web.

If the outputs are TO-3 mosfets, then it probably is a more difficult and expensive fix. The later Andromeda's used Motorola TO-3s. Locating originals will be pricey, and even subs will harder to track down.

I'd pay accordingly.
 
The Polaris is definitely post-Bongiorno. He hated MOSFETs and wouldn't use them.

You should ask Mike Bettinger at GASAudio.net, he'll be able to give you all the information you need to know.

David
 
Back
Top Bottom