• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is the tonearm on my Dual 1229Q bent?

Ben Rothman

Active Member
Yesturday when I was lifting the dust cover up on my Dual 1229Q to put a record on, I noticed a small scratch or crease in the tonearm. It was very suttle and very hard to see. I quickly turned the turntabel so I could see the tonearm and it didn't look bent at all. I then used a level app on my iphone and checked to see if it was level. I then went to my dual 1219 and used a level on that tonearm and the readings were the exact same. The tonearm on my Dual 1229Q doesn't look bent but from the top you can see a small little crease. Luckily the crease is near the back of the tonearm and in an area where the counter weight shaft goes. I took the counter weight out and tried putting it back in. The counterweight went it in with no issues and felt the same as putting my counter weight in my 1219. I will post some pictures of the little crease on the tonearm. I haven't had any tracking issues or sound qaulity issues. Hopefully this issue is just cosmetic. Please let me know if this issue is just cosemetic or not IMG_3385.jpeg IMG_3386.jpeg Tonearm Crease .jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Yesturday when I was lifting the dust cover up on my Dual 1229Q to put a record on, I noticed a small scratch or crease in the tonearm. It was very suttle and very hard to see. I quickly turned the turntabel so I could see the tonearm and it didn't look bent at all. I then used a level app on my iphone and checked to see if it was level. I then went to my dual 1219 and used a level on that tonearm and the readings were the exact same. The tonearm on my Dual 1229Q doesn't look bent but from the top you can see a small little crease. Luckily the crease is near the back of the tonearm and in an area where the counter weight shaft goes. I took the counter weight out and tried putting it back in. The counterweight went it in with no issues and felt the same as putting my counter weight in my 1219. I will post some pictures of the little crease on the tonearm. I haven't had any tracking issues or sound qaulity issues. Hopefully this issue is just cosmetic. Please let me know if this issue is just cosemetic or not View attachment 1561244 View attachment 1561243 View attachment 1561242
One thing to note, in the birds eye view picture of the arm, the tonearm is not latched into its rest so the tonearm is about to left.
 
I rotated your image -2° to get the armtube as horizontal as possible and drew a parallel straight (none breaking) 1px wide line for reference. It's not scientific but it looks fine. The slight slope appears linear. I don't think it's bent.

IMOoUhu.jpg
 
I rotated your image -2° to get the armtube as horizontal as possible and drew a parallel straight (none breaking) 1px wide line for reference. It's not scientific but it looks fine. The slight slope appears linear. I don't think it's bent.

IMOoUhu.jpg
That’s great news!
 
Back
Top Bottom