• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is there a most colectable 70's Rock List somewhere?

dynamic73

Audiophile in Progress
I'm not talking about the most valuable or the rarest or even your favorite groups on LP's. I'm talking about a list of the most collectable record lps from the old 70's rock groups. Records that most vinyl collectors deem as "Must Haves" in their collections. Lets say a top 20 list or a top 50 list of lp's.

I heard Led Zeppelin II for the 1st time on vinyl on a nice stereo. It's so much better than the cd. Being mostly a cd guy. I really couldn't believe it. I now understand how some lp's do sound better than cd's. I also see why Led Zeppelin II is such a sought after lp.

Do you guys have, must have lists for 70's rock groups? Music that sound great and even better on vinyl?
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't have such a list but one great, classic 70's rock LP that I find sounds better than just about every other record in my crates is the first Molly Hatchet album.
 
I take it you're not from the '70s yourself?

Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ...

I suppose the quintessential favorite list of favorites would be from Rolling Stone ...


500 Greatest Albums of All Time


You'll have to do some cherry picking to get just '70s stuff, but it's a fun search and you may find some others that you'll recognize.

And ya ... a LOT of the CDs from that era are pure audio shite. There wasn't a lot of quality control with them and lots of companies rushed them out just to make a buck on the new digital fad. Real crapshoot as to whether there were decent source masters to work with, and the engineers who ripped them to digital format weren't all that good at what they were doing. Overdone compression and screaming distorted decibels more times than not. Something to keep in mind if you're going more for the sound than collecting ... there's a LOT of stuff being remastered/reissued now as anniversary edition CDs that sound better than the original vinyls. Scary good on SACD. There's also a LOT of reissues on vinyl that improve on the original albums. Lots of options.

That said, I prefer vinyl myself and have a lot of the stuff originally purchased way back when and treated carefully. Digital is nice for a quickie, or for just playing in the background, but if I'm gonna get INTO the music, I prefer the sonic sweetness of an old school turntable on an analog system.
 
70s short list

Well, Zeppelin II was released in 1969, but props for recognizing it for the greatness that it is.

For 1970s "rock" exclusively for play on vinyl, here's my short list.

Kinks – Lola vs Powerman… 1970
T Rex – Electric Warrior 1971
Stephen Stills/Manassas – Manassas 1972
Neil Young – On the Beach 1974
Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti 1975
Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True 1977
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? 1972
Bob Dylan - Desire 1976
The Band – Stage Fright 1970
Eric Clapton – Eric Clapton 1970
Allman Brothers – Eat a Peach 1972
George Harrison – All Things Must Pass 1970

I recommend exploring all releases by these artists. Good luck to you.

Matt
 
"Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ..."

I agree with sKiZo, but just for fun, here's a list of twenty. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different list. :)

1978 Van Halen – Van Halen
1971 The Who - Who’s Next
1970 Three Dog Night – Naturally
1977 Styx - Grand Illusion
1975 Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
1976 Bob Seger – Night Moves
1970 Santana – Abraxas
1972 Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
1977 Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
1971 The Knack - Get The Knack
1977 Heart – Dreamboat Annie
1977 Foreigner – Foreigner
1977 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
1975 Electric Light Orchestra – Face the Music
1976 Eagles – Hotel California
1971 The Doors – L. A. Woman
1976 Boston – Boston
1979 Pat Benatar – In the Heat of the Night
1975 Paul McCartney and Wings – Venus and Mars
1975 Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic
 
"Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ..."

I agree with sKiZo, but just for fun, here's a list of twenty. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different list. :)

1978 Van Halen – Van Halen
1971 The Who - Who’s Next
1970 Three Dog Night – Naturally
1977 Styx - Grand Illusion
1975 Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
1976 Bob Seger – Night Moves
1970 Santana – Abraxas
1972 Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
1977 Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
1971 The Knack - Get The Knack
1977 Heart – Dreamboat Annie
1977 Foreigner – Foreigner
1977 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
1975 Electric Light Orchestra – Face the Music
1976 Eagles – Hotel California
1971 The Doors – L. A. Woman
1976 Boston – Boston
1979 Pat Benatar – In the Heat of the Night
1975 Paul McCartney and Wings – Venus and Mars
1975 Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic

Nice list :thmbsp:

Add:

Grateful Dead ~ American Beauty
Deep Purple ~ Made In Japan
Black Sabbath ~ Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Aerosmith ~ Rocks
Zappa ~ Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, Bongo Fury, Overnite Sensation, Zoot Allures, Apostrophe'.....

Aw hell, don't ask me for 20, I'm down to about 1000 indispensable rock albums
 
There you go.

I don't know if they're the most collectable, but I have all except a couple mentioned. Good stuff!
 
I don't have such a list but one great, classic 70's rock LP that I find sounds better than just about every other record in my crates is the first Molly Hatchet album.

That's sounds great. I found one of those in a group of albums I just got. Haven't listen to it yet tho. Thanks for the heads up. I be trying it out soon.
 
I take it you're not from the '70s yourself?

Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ...

I suppose the quintessential favorite list of favorites would be from Rolling Stone ...


500 Greatest Albums of All Time


You'll have to do some cherry picking to get just '70s stuff, but it's a fun search and you may find some others that you'll recognize.

And ya ... a LOT of the CDs from that era are pure audio shite. There wasn't a lot of quality control with them and lots of companies rushed them out just to make a buck on the new digital fad. Real crapshoot as to whether there were decent source masters to work with, and the engineers who ripped them to digital format weren't all that good at what they were doing. Overdone compression and screaming distorted decibels more times than not. Something to keep in mind if you're going more for the sound than collecting ... there's a LOT of stuff being remastered/reissued now as anniversary edition CDs that sound better than the original vinyls. Scary good on SACD. There's also a LOT of reissues on vinyl that improve on the original albums. Lots of options.

That said, I prefer vinyl myself and have a lot of the stuff originally purchased way back when and treated carefully. Digital is nice for a quickie, or for just playing in the background, but if I'm gonna get INTO the music, I prefer the sonic sweetness of an old school turntable on an analog system.

I'm 57 years old. So I'm not from the 70's. But I have been through them (If I remember correctly).

Yea I'm not looking for opinions on what's the best. Just what top collectors of vinyl are calling "Must Have Vinyl Recordings".

I've stopped chasing my equipment and have moved on to finding the best media for my TT right now.
 
Well, Zeppelin II was released in 1969, but props for recognizing it for the greatness that it is.

For 1970s "rock" exclusively for play on vinyl, here's my short list.

Kinks – Lola vs Powerman… 1970
T Rex – Electric Warrior 1971
Stephen Stills/Manassas – Manassas 1972
Neil Young – On the Beach 1974
Led Zeppelin – Physical Graffiti 1975
Elvis Costello – My Aim Is True 1977
Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? 1972
Bob Dylan - Desire 1976
The Band – Stage Fright 1970
Eric Clapton – Eric Clapton 1970
Allman Brothers – Eat a Peach 1972
George Harrison – All Things Must Pass 1970

I recommend exploring all releases by these artists. Good luck to you.

Matt

You know I've heard that album many times back in the 70's on vinyl. Unfortunately. None of my friends or me. Had anything really nice to play them on. And in the 80's I moved on to cd's. There other night. A friend of mine pulls Led Zeppenlin II out. He's got a pretty nice system. Nothing major, just a nice mid price system. But when I heard it on vinyl. It made me understand why people say this or that album sounds better on vinyl.

So I guess the list I'm looking for is 70's rock bands. That sound better on vinyl than they do on cd. I also heard Jim Croce best of album. It was really amazing on vinyl also.
 
Last edited:
Conversation wouldn't be complete without defining exactly what "rock" constitutes ... Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ...

(oh, wait ... already said that) :D

I get a kick out of what the online databases list different albums under. I think a lot of them use a dartboard. Is Dillon "folk?" - Dixie Dreggs "fusion" - Clapton "blues" ?? Heck ... when do we start calling the Animals "classical"? Blood, Sweat & Tears show up all over the map for genre.

How about Barefoot Becky and the Ivanhoe Dutchmen? I think they ROCK! :rockon:

Here's a fav list I just extracted from my media server. Nowhere near complete ... I'm pretty sure I fatfingered something compiling it, but you get the drift ...

Alan Parsons Project
America
Bad Company
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Camel
Carly Simon
Cat Stevens
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
David Gilmour
Dick Hyman
Doors
Eagles
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Gary Wright
Genesis
Grateful Dead
Harry Chapin
Heart
Humble Pie
James Taylor
Janis Joplin
Jeff Beck
Jethro Tull
Kansas
King Crimson
Kraftwerk
Led Zeppelin
Linda Ronstadt
Loggins and Messina
Meat Loaf
Mike Oldfield
Pink Floyd
Queen
Robin Trower
Santana
Sly & The Family Stone
Spooky Tooth
Steely Dan
Stevie Wonder
Styx
The Band
The Doobie Brothers
Tomita
Traffic
Uriah Heep
Yes
 
Yea it's hard to figure out how they come up with what genres they put bands in. In the 70's they just called most of it rock n roll.

That's a great list you got there. I might have about a little over a 1/3 of those. Now I can see what I need to keep and eye out for. Thanks
 
Where are Bread? The Carpenters? Seals & Croft? Air Supply? Carly? But seriously, where are The Ramones? The lads from Forest Hills, NY released four classic LPs in the latter part of the '70s. As long as we're classic punkin', how about The Stooges: Fun House (1970) and Raw Power (1973)? Did I see Alice Cooper on any of the lists above?
 
"Ask any two people and you'll get a dozen results depending on the time of day, day of the week, and whatever they're smoking ..."

I agree with sKiZo, but just for fun, here's a list of twenty. Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a different list. :)

1978 Van Halen – Van Halen
1971 The Who - Who’s Next
1970 Three Dog Night – Naturally
1977 Styx - Grand Illusion
1975 Bruce Springsteen – Born to Run
1976 Bob Seger – Night Moves
1970 Santana – Abraxas
1972 Rolling Stones – Exile On Main Street
1977 Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
1971 The Knack - Get The Knack
1977 Heart – Dreamboat Annie
1977 Foreigner – Foreigner
1977 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
1975 Electric Light Orchestra – Face the Music
1976 Eagles – Hotel California
1971 The Doors – L. A. Woman
1976 Boston – Boston
1979 Pat Benatar – In the Heat of the Night
1975 Paul McCartney and Wings – Venus and Mars
1975 Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic

For Vinyl,Id also add:

Kansas-Leftoverture
Badfinger-Straight Up(Better spell that right)
Steely Dan-Countdown to Ecstasy
Beatles-Abbey Road(Yeah,I know,1969)
Yes-Fragile
Yes-Going For The One
 
Your question is quite broad. Let's narrow it down.

Best albums from 1972:

1972 was the best year for Rock & Roll. Ever. Here's Creem Magazine's list to jog your addled memories:

1. David Bowie The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
2. Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street
3. Mott The Hoople All The Young Dudes
4. T. Rex The Slider
5. Roxy Music Roxy Music
6. Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick
7. Rod Stewart Never A Dull Moment
8. Alice Cooper School's Out
9. Todd Rundgren Something/Anything
10. Jethro Tull Living In The Past
11. Big Star No. 1
12. Badfinger Straight Up
13. Lou Reed Transformer
14. Cat Stevens Catch A Bull At Four
15. Stevie Wonder Talking Book
16. Deep Purple Machine Head
17. Joni Mitchell For The Roses
18. Lou Reed Lou Reed
19. Yes Close To The Edge
20. Nick drake Pink Moon
21. Elton John Honky Château
22. Black Sabbath Vol. 4
23. Pink Floyd Obscured By Clouds
24. The Mothers Just Another Band From L.A.
25. Deep Purple Made In Japan
26. Slade Alive!
27. Steely Dan Can't Buy A Thrill
28. Blue Öyster Cult Blue Oyster Cult
29. The Kinks Everybody's In Showbiz
30. The Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night
31. Curtis Mayfield Superfly [soundtrack]
32. Chicago V
33. Paul Simon Paul Simon
34. Al Green I'm Still In Love With You
35. Emerson Lake & Palmer Trilogy
36. Stevie Wonder Music In My Mind
37. Caravan Waterloo Lilly
38. The Allman Brothers Band Eat A Peach
39. Free Heartbreaker
40. John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band Sometime In New York City
 
Ok guys the list doesn't have to be just albums from the 70's. I would qualify any 70's band albums. Even if an album came from a different decade.

Yea it's a broad question. But I'm only looking albums that would be considered "Must Haves". Although from the size of some of ya'lls collections. I can tell your "Must Haves" is probably as larger than my whole collection. LOL


Bhundu that's a really great and helpful site you linked to thanks a lot.
 
Back
Top Bottom