• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is there an easy way to tell AU-217 from AU-217 mkII ?

xero-D-hero

Super Member
Just what the title says,is there an easy way to tell the AU-217 from the AU-217 mkII ?

Just bought a AU-217 and not sure if it's a mkI or mkII,not that it matters too much to me,I'm happy regardless which it is as I wanted an AU-217 to go with a nice TU-217 tuner I picked up recently,but I am curious about it none-the-less.

Looked around on the web for a bit and did'nt see any clear answers,thought I'd cut to the chase and ask here,after all that's partly why I registered here to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Bret P.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think MKII is marked on most of them.

The MKII does not have the bells on the transformer like the first series.

The MKII has slightly higher output wattage. That's why they used a different transformer.
 
AU-217II is stated on front and back. It's a great sounding little amp that got fantastic reviews back in the day... Congrats on a fine purchase!
 
The AU-217 has a 'Sansui' badge glued onto the front panel, whereas the AU-217 II has a white screen-printed 'Sansui' logo instead, plus the 'II' designation.

AU-217:

9224_1_large.jpg



AU-217 II:

sansui12.jpg
 
Yeah,cool thanks guys,I thought it should be pretty obvious,but untill you see the dufferences sometimes it just does'nt "click" right away.

99.5% sure the one I'm getting is a mkI,which like I said is fine by me,price was right and I basically wanted it to go with that TU-217 I mentioned to get my "foot in the door" on a entry level Sansui AU-TU system as I got plenty of other higher wpc gear from other brands,so this one wont be about higher SPL's @ all,it'll just be a nice sounding low wpc system mostly to be used to listen to FM stations with.

Right now I got three potential pairs of bookshelf speakers to try with this set-up,first is a pr. of Infinity RS-125 (6Ω),next a pr. of JBL 52t (8Ω),and last but certainly not least,a pr. of Realistic minimus 7's (8Ω),maybe even four pairs if I try one of the (2) pr. of Kilipsch KSB 1.1's (also 8Ω) that I intend to use with my basement "work room" system.

Also,that brings up one other quick question:
Seeing as there is no speaker selector for this unit,does anyone know if the speaker outputs for this unit are designed to operate in series,or in parallel ?

It'll be helpful to know that tidbit of info seeing as that situation may well affect my actual speaker useage with this set-up.

Thanks again all.

Bret P.
 
SoundOfSound said:
It is only meant for one set of speakers.
Yeah,,,to quote Homer J Simpson,,,DOH...

It's not here yet and I guess I'm just used to these older integrated amps having two pairs of speaker outputs as SOP,that for some odd reason I did'nt even notice there were only one set of speaker outputs in the pics of this unit,I must've been too distracted by everything else I guess.

That explains everything,,,slaps forehead with palm...

Jeez that's the dumbest thing I've done in ages.

Bret P.
 
Back
Top Bottom