• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this a CIGARETTE BUTT in this Kef tweeter?

I have here a little label that fell out of one of my LS3/5A cabs when I opened it up to change the terminals. It states the cabinet was made by E. Greaves & Son (C.M.) LTD. of Sheffield.
I understand the crossover differs significantly between the 15 Ohm and 11 Ohm models, the former using a tapped inductor and selected capacitance value to match the HF response (or something) and the latter using a resistive network in that place. Either way, it's the most complex 2-way crossover I've ever seen.


Interesting that you mention Greaves, I have visited their factory in the early 70's bought cabinets from them, still have some (not LS3/5a).

The crossover circuits for 15 ohm and 11 ohm are different, but not vastly, its to account for the later B110 with the PVC surround (rubber on the original). They took the opportunity to simplify the attenuation of the T27 but using resistors instead of the tapped inductor. This was feasable as the sensitivity of both T27 and B110 was now within tighter limits.

The diags are freely available on the internet, they are not as complex as one might think from looking at the actual crossovers.
 
I've archived most of the available material on the LS3/5A and related speakers over the years. In addition to the 1978 Rogers units that I bought new I have 2 sets of Fried Type R cabs (LS3/5A dimensions except for rim) with B110 and T27 and different crossovers. One pair of those in my shop with reproduction 15 Ohm crossovers are probably the speakers that I listen to the most overall.
I particularly like the B110. They're in these Linn Isobarik DMS speakers that I'm listening to, which I've found to be the most acceptable of scores and scores of speakers that I've had in this room. These are keepers.
I made a pair of Frankenspeakers by grafting T27's and B110s Onto AR3 cabs and woofers. I used the 15 Ohm crossover. Those work fine.
I also had B110s and B139s in an early pair of ESS speakers, the Trans Statics.
Speaking of the shop, I have an Ampeg SVT scattered around the bench that needs to rock out tomorrow night.
Cheers
 
I've archived most of the available material on the LS3/5A and related speakers over the years. In addition to the 1978 Rogers units that I bought new I have 2 sets of Fried Type R cabs (LS3/5A dimensions except for rim) with B110 and T27 and different crossovers. One pair of those in my shop with reproduction 15 Ohm crossovers are probably the speakers that I listen to the most overall.
I particularly like the B110. They're in these Linn Isobarik DMS speakers that I'm listening to, which I've found to be the most acceptable of scores and scores of speakers that I've had in this room. These are keepers.
I made a pair of Frankenspeakers by grafting T27's and B110s Onto AR3 cabs and woofers. I used the 15 Ohm crossover. Those work fine.
I also had B110s and B139s in an early pair of ESS speakers, the Trans Statics.
Speaking of the shop, I have an Ampeg SVT scattered around the bench that needs to rock out tomorrow night.
Cheers

Yes, the B110 needs a good crossover to sound right. Forgot to mention that I have B110 + T27+ KEF CS1a crossover, those are pretty good.

In the 70's I have visited the Rogers and Chartwell factories on several occasions.

I have a pair of LS3/6 and those are quite interesting with the large auto transformer to match levels of the bass unit and Celestion HF1300. The midrange is possibly the best that I have ever heard from a moving coil speaker.
 
I have one need to be repaired. Thanks in advance.

The diaphragm and VC are mounted on a rigid plate that's held on with adhesive. Sometimes you can pry them up non-destructively but I don't promise anything. If you're lucky it's open where the VC wire crosses the gap, and not an open in the coil itself. A lead open might be able to be repaired. I have 2 with opens in the coil, and unless someone can rewind them economically, they're paperweights.
 
The diaphragm and VC are mounted on a rigid plate that's held on with adhesive. Sometimes you can pry them up non-destructively but I don't promise anything. If you're lucky it's open where the VC wire crosses the gap, and not an open in the coil itself. A lead open might be able to be repaired. I have 2 with opens in the coil, and unless someone can rewind them economically, they're paperweights.

Thank you Bauhausler.

Mine is shorted (only 0.3Ω), but I can hear da..da..da sound when I test with a AA battery. I doubt the coil is shorted some where inside. I'll try to pry the diaphragm if it's safe.
 
It's how it sounds to Your ears that counts. But from experience they sound better with the cigarette filters in your ears, not in the tweeter. It's less costly too.
 
I particularly like the B110. They're in these Linn Isobarik DMS speakers that I'm listening to, which I've found to be the most acceptable of scores and scores of speakers that I've had in this room. These are keepers.
Well, they WERE keepers 2/24/2009.... ;)
 
Well, they WERE keepers 2/24/2009.... ;)

They haven't gone far. My boss/friend Kevin has them upstairs, and the OLA Advent Ewaves from the magazine article downstairs (that's his system in the article opener shot).

He saw my half-converted Ewave DQ-10s and immediately started wrangling to get those into his living room. It's getting so before I even finish a project there's a waiting list of guys shuffling their feet and going "What are you gonna do with those when they're done?"

Oh, after I've invested 100 hours in planning, research, sourcing parts, experimentation, design, fabrication, assembly, testing, tweaking and finishing? I guess I'll sell them off for parts cost.
 
I've seen those "fiber inserts" before. AFAIK, they're assembled that way.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Yes, the B110 needs a good crossover to sound right. Forgot to mention that I have B110 + T27+ KEF CS1a crossover, those are pretty good.

In the 70's I have visited the Rogers and Chartwell factories on several occasions.

I have a pair of LS3/6 and those are quite interesting with the large auto transformer to match levels of the bass unit and Celestion HF1300. The midrange is possibly the best that I have ever heard from a moving coil speaker.


Radfordman,

We don't have many people who could describe the Chartwell and Rogers factory. Did you actually meet any of the people there like David Stebbings of Chartwell, or Brian Pook, Malcolm Sced, or Richard Ross of Rogers? Do you happen to have any pictures of your visits? Would love to have some of your memories or thoughts committed to print, here, or at the LS3/5a Yahoo group.

Regards,

Bart
Yahoo! LS3/5a moderator
 
Stuff like this happens in a lot of industries. In high school I worked with an older guy who had had a temp job at Freightliner assembling trucks. And he told me that every once and a while the guys would piss into the fiberglass insulation that surrounded the engines in their cab over trucks. Supposidly a couple hundred miles out the door the trucks would take on an aroma! I guess it was quite the Joke.

Reminds me of the cans of sardines that I dumped into the walls through the light switches when I was once evicted by a pig landlord for calling in the health department to inspect the place for violations (there were more than 40).
 
Back
Top Bottom