• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this a real Altec Magnificent cabinet? Uniquely shaped molding.

kalkan4

New Member
20240922_220302.jpgI inherited this pair of speakers, and near as I can tell from my reading they seem to be Magnificents but I can not find any pictures or posts mentioning the decorative molding that these have. Anyone have a clue whether these cabinets are made by Altec, and what model they might be?20240922_214545.jpg20240922_220249.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad

Attachments

  • 20240922_203639.jpg
    20240922_203639.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240922_214058.jpg
    20240922_214058.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240922_213935.jpg
    20240922_213935.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240922_214041.jpg
    20240922_214041.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240922_202723.jpg
    20240922_202723.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240922_220033.jpg
    20240922_220033.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 28
Home built to the factory 825 drawing.

Factory Magnificent didn't get fancy millwork until the late 60's, and it didn't look like that.

A7-500W was simply an 825 cabinet veneered in walnut with a pressed composition grill. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649651999-altec-magnificent-speakers-a7-500w/images/2860535/

A7-500w II added the fancy top and base millwork with a curved grill. https://audio-database.com/ALTEC/speaker/magnificent-ii.html

Why does that woofer's color look so off? Is it an 803B(proper mate to the 804A)?
 
Home built to the factory 825 drawing.

Factory Magnificent didn't get fancy millwork until the late 60's, and it didn't look like that.

A7-500W was simply an 825 cabinet veneered in walnut with a pressed composition grill. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649651999-altec-magnificent-speakers-a7-500w/images/2860535/

A7-500w II added the fancy top and base millwork with a curved grill. https://audio-database.com/ALTEC/speaker/magnificent-ii.html

Why does that woofer's color look so off? Is it an 803B(proper mate to the 804A)?
Thanks for the info. Not sure about the woofer color. Might just be my camera. The bottom half of the back panel is glued and nailed in place so I can't get a straight on view of the rear of the woofer. I'll try and get a mirror down there to look for the woofer number.

I noticed that some of the plywood parts are assembled with staples, looking like it came from a production shop. I wonder if it may have been commissioned from a furniture or woodworking shop.
 
The bottom half of the back panel is glued and nailed in place so I can't get a straight on view of the rear of the woofer.
LOL(at the builder)

They got it backward. The removable half of an 825 back is supposed to be for easy access to the woofer. A very minor detail at the end of the day. Let it simply serve as added reassurance that they are not factory cabinets.

The builder did a good job overall, i'd be pleased to own them.
 
LOL(at the builder)

They got it backward. The removable half of an 825 back is supposed to be for easy access to the woofer. A very minor detail at the end of the day. Let it simply serve as added reassurance that they are not factory cabinets.

The builder did a good job overall, i'd be pleased to own them.
Ya, that makes sense. As it is, I don't think it's possible to remove the woofer.

Also might explain why I've never seen grills on these, and there is no indication of any kind of mounting hardware for grills.

Thanks again for the info.
 
What bowtie427ss said. I just had my Magnificent's outside last weekend. It's nice to fill the backyard with the Altec sound
 

Attachments

  • 20240914_121002.jpg
    20240914_121002.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom