• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this already electronica or still acoustic?

Ranch23

New Member
How do you see it, is it already electronic music or does it count as acoustic? As I understand it, it is recorded on handpans. But then the sound is changed a lot and sounds like drone, ambient etc. to me. So what counts more, the final sound or the way the basic sound is produced?

Reminds me of discussions at the time when instruments like the clavinet emerged. There, for example, metal reeds are plucked, then fed to the electronics via a pickup (usually a simple coil around the reed) and then processed as desired. Basically, the same way it is done with any electric guitar. But despite the distortion and modulation effects, it is not automatically described as electronic music. Or should we be more flexible with the categories?
 
Register to hide this ad
I guess broadly speaking for something to be considered "electronic music" it has to be generated from an electronic source, and not an analog/mechanical source through a transducer. But then, like with your example of the clavinet, how much of the original sound is preserved? It's a short hop to something like a keyboard synthesizer. You're actuating via a mechanical switch there, too.

I mean, I dunno really. But it's a fun thinking exercise for a Friday morning. :D
 
I guess broadly speaking for something to be considered "electronic music" it has to be generated from an electronic source, and not an analog/mechanical source through a transducer. But then, like with your example of the clavinet, how much of the original sound is preserved? It's a short hop to something like a keyboard synthesizer. You're actuating via a mechanical switch there, too.

I mean, I dunno really. But it's a fun thinking exercise for a Friday morning. :D
Yep, that was my drama. Basically it's acoustic, but at the end - for me - it's the sound that counts. Maybe we need a sub genre like electronic acoustic music. Or we just stick with ambient. By that we avoid to ask for what's the sound source..
 
I am trying to remember an organ that had a closed loop airflow chamber housing continuously working reeds with capacitance pickups, a competitor of Hammond tone wheel organs, which pitch did not depend on line frequency unlike Hammond. The reed tone generators provided the pitch base for tone filter processing for various sound tones and were not directly amplified.
Wurlitzer

 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom