• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this cartridge toast?

biggal76

Well-Known Member
Got a really dirty Yamaha PX-3. I am cleaning it up and it seems to work but it came w the original cartridge with a broken stylus. Stylus was stuck but I got it out. This is what the cartridge looked like with the corrosion. I cleaned it up the best I could with a small copper wire wheel (on dremel) but the metal is damaged (2nd pic). What are the odds this will work. Is it worth investing in a stylus or do I just need a whole new cartridge?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8869.jpeg
    IMG_8869.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8871.jpeg
    IMG_8871.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 78
Register to hide this ad
There doesn't seem to be any on the pins. If you have a meter you can test the coils. What cartridge is it?

Never seen anything like that.
 
Just guessing, but if that's an MC-705 the exposed metal will be the magnet. There's a good chance it's still good provided a new stylus will fit properly.
 
It is MC-705. The pins cleaned right up (as you can see in the pic). I guess a boogered up magnet wouldn't hurt anything,. I'll order a stylus. Thanks for the advice. What's the best bang for the buck stylus for this. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the TT once I clean it up so don't want a several hundred dollar stylus but don't want a crappy one either.
 
It is MC-705. The pins cleaned right up (as you can see in the pic). I guess a boogered up magnet wouldn't hurt anything,. I'll order a stylus. Thanks for the advice. What's the best bang for the buck stylus for this. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the TT once I clean it up so don't want a several hundred dollar stylus but don't want a crappy one either.
The AT 3100/3200 should fit (according to google AI) but for a definitive answer we need our stylus guru to respond, @lini aka Manfred.

 
Can’t even see anything that remotely resemble a stylus , cantilever nor cartridge part from the blurry pictures.

If it is a MC-705 a replaceable Moving coil - it seems to be- it should be interesting to try , some sell cartridge stylus part for it.
 
Last edited:
Just guessing, but if that's an MC-705 the exposed metal will be the magnet. (...)

More likely just the yoke pieces, between which the magnet should sit.

The AT 3100/3200 should fit (according to google AI) but for a definitive answer we need our stylus guru to respond, @lini aka Manfred.

Yup, the MC-705 belongs to the AT3100 & AT3200 family. Both needle ranges will fit - but with one from the ATN3100 range it'll be low output, just like the priginal, while with one from the ATN3200 range it'll turn into high output. So it might be wiser to leave the choice to the buyer, if the OP doesn't intend to keep the cartridge.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
More likely just the yoke pieces, between which the magnet should sit.



Yup, the MC-705 belongs to the AT3100 & AT3200 family. Both needle ranges will fit - but with one from the ATN3100 range it'll be low output, just like the priginal, while with one from the ATN3200 range it'll turn into high output. So it might be wiser to leave the choice to the buyer, if the OP doesn't intend to keep the cartridge.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Good info. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom