• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this considered direct drive?

Nixx

New Member
Hi guys I've got this old electrohome turntable and I'm pretty sure it's not belt drive but I'm not suse if it would be considered direct drive as the motor drives a rubber wheel which the drives the table itself.
I'm also having issues with it not spinning and when it does spin it is very inconsistent. Does anyone have experience with a system like this and any possible fixes
 

Attachments

  • 1569097846935-1679190582.jpg
    1569097846935-1679190582.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 84
Register to hide this ad
Just to be clear, does the wheel in the picture always turn but the platter turning is inconsistent, or does the little wheel itself turn inconsistently?
 
The wheel is always turning it's the platter that is inconsistent which to me means it's not contacting the rim of the platter properly but I'm not sure how to fix this
 
I'd start a degreasing wash with IPA of everything in the idler wheel's path: rim of the platter, edge of the idler (q-tip and rubber rejuvenator) and motor pulley. I'd also check if all springs on the idler carriage are present and in good shape and finally, clean and lube the main bearing.
 
make sure the pivot for the idler moves properly too. Sometimes they get stuck and the idler doesn't actually come into contact with the platter correctly.
 
My thought aligns with the other comments, you have one of the following problems (most likely):

1. The rubber of the wheel is too hard or there is something slick on it or the platter rim that's preventing good torque transfer at certain points. Clean all the mating surfaces with IPA and maybe have the idler redone by Terry or The Voice of Music.

2. Something is gummed up in the mechanism due to hardened grease and either the platter rim or the motor just isn't making good contact with the idler as a result. Clean everything (WD40 is good at dissolving hardened grease, then IPA removes WD40, then regrease with superlube or white lithium grease) and reassemble.
 
Back
Top Bottom