• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this Garrard table worth messing with?

I do need a mat! This table came with one, but the console had been stored in a barn attic for many years, and the summer heat turned it to char.
 
I do need a mat! This table came with one, but the console had been stored in a barn attic for many years, and the summer heat turned it to char.


Well there ya go. One part located only 158 or so more to functionate or replace. :D

Did you like that? I just made up a new word.

RC
 
"Functionate."

I do like that.

This thing appears to functionate just fine, actually. It gets up to speed quickly and cycles okay. It gets bogged down a little at one point of the cycle, so I think I've got a little more gooey grease to hunt down. Run manual though, it spins nicely! I haven't actually put any vinyl on it yet, though. I think I'll replace the RCAs and the cables connected to them first.
 
"Functionate."

I do like that.

This thing appears to functionate just fine, actually. It gets up to speed quickly and cycles okay. It gets bogged down a little at one point of the cycle, so I think I've got a little more gooey grease to hunt down. Run manual though, it spins nicely! I haven't actually put any vinyl on it yet, though. I think I'll replace the RCAs and the cables connected to them first.

With all that mechanism going on in there, I would think that de-grease and re-lubricate would be the order of the day. I remember getting some tips on the re-functionating of a Dual table from a member here. It had to do with what to lubricate and what to leave alone. Apparently lubricating the "leave alone" mechanics was a big no-no. I'm not sure if the Type A has any of the "leave alone" mechanics but you might want to check.

RC
 
I remember getting some tips on the re-functionating of a Dual table from a member here. It had to do with what to lubricate and what to leave alone. Apparently lubricating the "leave alone" mechanics was a big no-no. I'm not sure if the Type A has any of the "leave alone" mechanics but you might want to check.
My problem is that I rarely know when to leave well enough alone! If I'm not careful I'll have a fully non-funtionating table here.
 
Hey redboy,

I'll take pics of my underside (the Garrard's...mind out of gutter) tonight so you can see how it's wired. Both of my Garrards were plinth mounted, so they are self powered, and they do have a ground wire. My second table came with a Shure M7d which I got a new needle for ($12 from my local electronics store) and it sounds fantastic (and tracks at 2.5 grams...perfect for the type a). 78 needles are available for the older Shure carts if you want to go vintage, and they track at 3.5...a perfect match!! If it only boggs down in changer mode, then it is gooey grease. When you clean and re-lube, it will be smooth as silk.

James R.
 
I know this is a bit of a dig, but I got linked here from your Barter Town thread, Red. Thought it might be better to talk here rather than there. :)

I've one of these Garrard Type A tables kicking around somewhere in the basement-- I pulled it from a Silvertone console (face was completely corroded and cab was beat to sh-t :tears:) that was kicked curbside, but forgot to grab the springy-things.

I might have to gussy it up and see what happens. I remember tugging up on it and thinking it was still stuck... nope, it's just one heavy-mother! Then I took a look at the underside and, well, it's now somewhere in the basement!

Hmm... maybe I'll build a base for it to match my latest tube project... :scratch2: I think I have enough Oak to go around (or maybe buy some Poplar?).


Anyways, I'm curious if you could outline all you did to it and how so I can do it, too!
 
I use my Type A running thru an old Eico HF-81 integrated tube amp, which powers a pair of vintage Jensen TRI-ettes. Sounds real nice when spinning old microgroove LPs from the 50's-60's. I was thinking of replacing the original base with a solid heavy layered plinth, but haven't got aound to doing that yet. Not sure if it's really worth the effort, but still might attempt to do it one day.
 
Hmm... maybe I'll build a base for it to match my latest tube project... :scratch2: I think I have enough Oak to go around (or maybe buy some Poplar?).


Anyways, I'm curious if you could outline all you did to it and how so I can do it, too!
This thread is a pretty good synopsis of everything I've done to this table. I think the key is to clean all the gadgetry thoroughly of any sticky old grease, and to clean and lubricate the bearing as well as possible. This bearing actually has tiny ball bearings in it, so you need to get rid of any and all traces of dust and grit to quiet it down.

I use my Type A running thru an old Eico HF-81 integrated tube amp, which powers a pair of vintage Jensen TRI-ettes. Sounds real nice when spinning old microgroove LPs from the 50's-60's. I was thinking of replacing the original base with a solid heavy layered plinth, but haven't got aound to doing that yet. Not sure if it's really worth the effort, but still might attempt to do it one day.
I think the massive plinth would be the best thing you could do for this table.
 
This thread is a pretty good synopsis of everything I've done to this table. I think the key is to clean all the gadgetry thoroughly of any sticky old grease, and to clean and lubricate the bearing as well as possible. This bearing actually has tiny ball bearings in it, so you need to get rid of any and all traces of dust and grit to quiet it down.

I was just curious about how you pulled out all the autonoma because you mentioned it in the BT thread, and if there's anything I should worry about if I were to do the same. :scratch2:
 
I was just curious about how you pulled out all the autonoma because you mentioned it in the BT thread, and if there's anything I should worry about if I were to do the same. :scratch2:
Yeah, you should worry about causing irreversible damage! :D

It took a lot of studying and head-scratching to figure out what to pull. Everything is held together with miniscule springs and tiny c-clips, and each piece is inextricably linked to four other ones, at first blush.

Take your time, take notes, don't force anything. Have fun! That's all the lesson you'll get from me...

When you're done, you can put mine back together again. :)
 
I think the massive plinth would be the best thing you could do for this table.[/QUOTE]


I'm sure it can't hurt! Would probably go the solid birch route...ala Lenco/REK!
 
So Redboy, did you ever get that old Garrard functioning? Most of the posts are from over 2 years ago - and I'm curious, because it's a beautiful looking piece of gear.
 
Oh yeah, it works just fine and always did! However, the motor runs a touch slow and I still haven't sorted that out.

I've got too many turntable projects in the works, though.
 
The Type A originally came with both short and tall spindles which could be used for manual or auto stacking capabilities. A 45 stacker spindle and single play 45 insert were also available.
Btw....a quick solution to convert the Type A to strictly manual operation, without gutting all the auto mechanisms. Is to turn the auto trip screw under the platter counter clock wise as far as it will go. This will cause/allow the tonearm to keep playing in the run-out groove like a true manual turntable.
I used to use this method, until I sorted out some of the auto function problems on my Type A. And now the tonearm lifts, returns and shuts off like a semi automatic. It also will work with the tall stacker spindle and drops up to 6 LPs, altho it's been a little quirky lately. Actually.... I prefer to use it in single manual play with most of my older records, unless their rougher condition thrift finds.
 
Back
Top Bottom