• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is This Worth Saving?

Linda Block

New Member
I have an old Sony Rack System - purchased in 1989 - I am the original owner and it's never been taken apart or needed to have anything fixed.

It's been in a non-smoking, clean, temperature -controlled environment. As of last year 2020, there are some issues which my husband attributes to just age/wear and tear. This includes intermittent channel interruption and the CD changer acts 'strangely'.

Is this worth saving or use as a door jamb?

Here are the components/model numbers:

Stereo AM/FM Tuner: ST-JX390
Integrated Stereo Amp: TA-AX390
Compact Disc Player: CDP-C401

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have an old Sony Rack System - purchased in 1989 - I am the original owner and it's never been taken apart or needed to have anything fixed.

It's been in a non-smoking, clean, temperature -controlled environment. As of last year 2020, there are some issues which my husband attributes to just age/wear and tear. This includes intermittent channel interruption and the CD changer acts 'strangely'.

Is this worth saving or use as a door jamb?

Here are the components/model numbers:

Stereo AM/FM Tuner: ST-JX390
Integrated Stereo Amp: TA-AX390
Compact Disc Player: CDP-C401

Thanks!

it's 30yrs old, a good cleaning is at least in order. If it has some sentimental value take it to a local tech for an estimate. Most charge around $50 for an estimate which usually goes toward the repair if done.

Often the intermittent channel interruption can be mitigated with excersizing the controls, IE rapidly turning all the knobs back and forth 10-20 times. Same with the switches and buttons, this will often wipe the corrosion off the offending controls and get you back in business until a proper cleaning can be performed.

hope this helps
 
Last edited:
In the 80s and 90s, Sony made a wide range of gear, ranging from excellent, top-of-the-line devices to very cheap, low quality stuff. I believe what you have is somewhere in the middle. And if it lasted so long without problems I think it's good quality. Especially if you have taken such good care of it. Personally I like trying to fix anything, unless it's really far gone.
The most likely culprit regarding channel interruption is dust getting into the potentiometers, as well as on the connections in the back. Try unplugging the amplifier, opening the lid, vacuuming the dust inside, then spraying the potentiometers (the round things that the volume, balance and speaker selector knobs connect to) with electrical contact cleaner (DeoxIT is very good. I can't find it in Europe, so I use WD-40 Specialist Contact Cleaner. DON'T use normal WD-40). Same for the connections on the back and the fuse inside. If you have a can of compressed air lying around, blow the dust out first.
In what way is the CD-player acting? If it skips or takes a long time to read the CD, the lens may be dirty. Spray some screen/eyeglasses cleaner on one end of a Q-tip, clean the lens on the optical head carefully, then dry it with the other end.
The problems you encountered sound like they have easy fixes. You only need a screwdriver and some electrical contact cleaner. The system might have another 30 years of service life left into it and I think it will be fun to try and repair it.
 
I've been a nearly lifelong fan of the mid to upper-mid line Sony equipment of mid 80's to the mid to late 90's.

It's interesting that it's a separate tuner and amp with a 300 series model number.

Looks like channels dropping might be a common issue with those models.

I found this vid while looking for a pic-


I recently learned (THANKS AK community!) that the mid to high end non ES receivers from this time period suffered from bad (and odd) grounds.
 
Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I'm looking for a service manual for my Sony TA-AX390. Does anyone have a service manual they can send me or link me to? And yes, I did a google search. Thank you in advance.
 
I know this is an old post but I'm looking for a service manual for my Sony TA-AX390. Does anyone have a service manual they can send me or link me to? And yes, I did a google search. Thank you in advance.
It's available on the Sony.com website, along with the user manual.
 
Back
Top Bottom