• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is Thorens a step up from Dual with the same cart?

soma89

Well-Known Member
Hello,
Right now I`m running a Dual 1019 with a V15 III and like the sound a lot.
I was just wondering.. is a Thorens (Something like a TD166, TD165, TD160..with a stock Thorens arm) going to be a step up in sound quality, if I use the same cart?
 
Register to hide this ad
There really is something about Duals and high compliance carts like Shures.

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the sound you have now. Don't get me wrong, Thorens is a great name in TTs, but pound for pound Dual is a strong contender: I don't know that you'd hear enough of a difference to make it worth all the effort and most likely extra money.

But that's just one man's opinion...
 
A Thorens usually was an upgrade for higher end systems in the day. Although some audiophiles bought both, the Thorens for him, the Dual for wife and kids to use. How much of an upgrade depends on model and care of setup details. Some later era lower end Thorens were made by Dual/Fehrbacher in fact. The 1019 is one of the best classic Duals ever and superb when in good order. Back in the day, the closest equivalent in price in Thorens would be a TD 150.
 
Back
Top Bottom