• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is "VCR out" the same as "Tape out"?

Ok, dumb question. I have a Marantz SR5005 receiver. If I wanted to connect a headphone amp to it, I assume I would connect it to "tape out", but unfortunately the receiver doesn't have a "tape out", but it does have a "vcr out" and a "zone 2" under audio outputs. Can I use the "vcr out"? Is this the same thing?

The receiver also has pre-outs which I use to feed power amps that drive my speakers. I could buy splitters or something and use those, but that seems wrong. Any advice? I don't currently have a headphone amp, otherwise I would just try them all. Planning on buying one soon.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
check the manuals for matching problems ..i think just try it first if its distorted it will need attenuating if too low then it needs modding to suit unless it has some control over the output but prob not
 
Tape deck...VCR...both use tape :dunno:

But all sarcasm aside, they are no different, other than the labels that are put on them.
The only difference that there may be is that the VCR jack may have a video switch connected to it somewhere.
You can just as easily use the VCR outputs the same as tape outputs.
 
VCR out is usually pertained to line level out if it has both left & right. Some or most surround receivers have VCR video and audio ins & outs so you can route everything through the receiver.

If you already have the headphone amp, it won't hurt anything to try it.
 
Video (VCR) outs work just fine as regular tape outs, in every piece of equipment I have owned.

It is best not to use your pre-outs, (and certainly not in a split situation with amps) as that will send everything to your tape....volume, tone, loudness...whatever you have in effect going to the amps at the time. The VCR jacks should just send out a line level.:thmbsp:
 
Thanks everyone for the advice. For posterity's sake, I wanted to provide some follow-up in case some poor soul Googles this thread in the future. I bought a headphone amp and it works great through VCR out. :thmbsp:

photo1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom