• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Isolating Planar 3 w/ butcher block -- should I add pads, or springs (or both)?

nsamm22

Active Member
Hey all! Hoping someone has experience, or some decent advice here. I just got a maple butcher block to sit my planar 3 atop. I have read many suggest sitting the block atop some isolation pads. However, I also came across some nobsound spring feet that caught my eye, and wondering if those would be better? Or, use the pads under the board, and the springs between the table and the board? Isolation is something I've little experience with, so I'd love some inexpensive suggestions. I've also read some good things about inflating an inner tube, but not sure if my stand + butcher block would accommodate one large enough
 
Register to hide this ad
The best isolation IMHO is a wall mounted shelf for your table. Doesn't have to be expensive, and your butcher block on a couple of decent wall brackets would probably make a great place for your table. Inner tubes tend to lose air over time, so you have to pump them up each time you want to listen (in my experience). They also take a little fiddling to get properly level.
You could try using some rubber balls in place of the feet on your P3. I currently use racquetball balls under my heavily modded P6 and they work quite well. I took the rubber feet off, leaving the footer cup and got some upholstery floor cups and the ball sits between them. Soft enough to be pliable, strong enough to support the weight. You could try squash balls as well.
 
The best isolation IMHO is a wall mounted shelf for your table. Doesn't have to be expensive, and your butcher block on a couple of decent wall brackets would probably make a great place for your table. Inner tubes tend to lose air over time, so you have to pump them up each time you want to listen (in my experience). They also take a little fiddling to get properly level.
You could try using some rubber balls in place of the feet on your P3. I currently use racquetball balls under my heavily modded P6 and they work quite well. I took the rubber feet off, leaving the footer cup and got some upholstery floor cups and the ball sits between them. Soft enough to be pliable, strong enough to support the weight. You could try squash balls as well.

Yeah the end goal is definitely to get the rega wall mount (I know I can get away cheaper, but I'm fine with the cost -- it also looks like it angles the table, from the pictures I saw... seems like you wouldn;t want it angled though, but I'm sure they know what they're doing), but I can't do it where I currently live (renting), so I'm looking for the best solution in the meantime. I'll try the racquetballs since it's cheap enough to try. The nobsound springs have me really intrigued, but I'd like to hear from someone who's tried them before buying them (they're about $30, not too bad) - and also not sure if they'd be best between the stand and butcher block, or between the butcher block and table. Hopefully the butcher block wasn't a complete waste (I don't even have it yet, it's in the mail) -- think it was about $60 and made by some company that makes them specifically for turntables (I would have just gotten a regular one, but they were even more expensive than this one, which seemed to have good feedback and reviews)
 
My turntables sit on a pretty rigid stand, that sits on a concrete floor. Based on a DIY article I read, I built a very inexpensive isolation platform that was a bicycle tire tube inflated to around 10 lbs, with a piece of plywood on top of it, with stacked furniture floor protector cups with a glass marble in between (I got everything but the marbles at Menards). It was not pretty by any means, but was very effective. I built it cheap and fast for a proof of concept, but plan to make a more attractive isolation stand built the exact same way in the future. Much like cable discussions, this topic can get very opinionated. I spent around $20 to build the test unit, and I would recommend you do the same. If you hear the difference, you can pursue a more attractive design, if not, you can enjoy your table as is.

A quick Google search should turn up the paper written on this isolation stand. Good luck.
 
I’ve had a Planar 3 since ‘86, purchased new. When I bought it, I immediately put on some Mod Squad “tip toes” spiked feet. I’ve never had any problems with footfall issues on my Rega.

Since you have the block, why not just put some Sorbothane feet of the proper durometer under that and call it done?
 
Hey all! Hoping someone has experience, or some decent advice here. I just got a maple butcher block to sit my planar 3 atop. I have read many suggest sitting the block atop some isolation pads. However, I also came across some nobsound spring feet that caught my eye, and wondering if those would be better? Or, use the pads under the board, and the springs between the table and the board? Isolation is something I've little experience with, so I'd love some inexpensive suggestions. I've also read some good things about inflating an inner tube, but not sure if my stand + butcher block would accommodate one large enough

Wondering what the real problem is, footfall or feedback? :idea:
 
Wondering what the real problem is, footfall or feedback? :idea:

definitely get some footfall - I'll hear it through the system if I tap the stand the table is on, as well as even just tapping the floor that everything's on (gentle tap I won't hear, but it doesn't take me pounding or walking on it, either). It's not terrible, no skipping or anything, but it's still there. I don't think feedback is an issue. I've got the butcher block in and I don't think it really helped much. I think I noticed a bit of an improvement in sound - maybe a bit clearer and crisper; but it may just be in my head, too.
 
Back
Top Bottom