• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

It Had Been a While... A Minor Score.

jocko_nc

Super Member
Pioneer SX 535 at the Goodwill. $13.50. I think Wednesday must be "40% Off Day". ???.

Neat unit. Very, VERY good condition, except for a bent function selector switch. Cosmetically, it looks like it must have been stored in a drawer all these years. Powers up. Lights... Meters... Action!

This finally marks the end of a real dry spell. Do I smell the Karma?

jocko
 
Register to hide this ad
Different locations have very different quantities of vintage electronics. In the 2 years I've been at this I don't think I've seen more than 3 Pioneer recievers, a 850, 780 and one with a digital/analog tuner. I wish I came across MOTL stuff more frequently, they make great systems for friends.
 
That's a nice score to break a dry spell. My first-ever Goodwill find was an SX-434 which turned out to be worth even less than the eight bucks I paid for it. But it was enough to pique the curiousity that led to some nice pickups later on.

Congrats.
 
Nice find. I cleaned this model up for a friend. Nice looking and sounding lightweight receiver, and well built.

Don't let anyone rain on your parade. You did good.:music:
 
jocko_nc said:
Been slim pickin's around here lately, brother...
Lately? Always. :tears:

In a year, the only truly local thrift finds have been a JVC JR-S301 receiver and a Pioneer PL-115D Turntable. Everything else has come from road trips to bigger cities, eBay, or AKer's.

Nice find, jocko! :music:
 
Yea. I have to imagine the thrifts elsewhere produce a lot more than they do around here...

Where was the majority of the "good stuff" sold in the first place? That's a good start to guess where the second hand stuff might be. Hardly in NC I'd have to say. Oh well. You guys up North can have your thrift scores, I'll take my nice lake and mountains.

jocko
 
Last edited:
jocko_nc said:
...can have your thrift scores, I'll take my nice lake and mountains.

jocko
:tresbon:

jocko_nc said:
Where was the majority of the "good stuff" sold in the first place? That's a good start to guess where the second hand stuff might be. Hardly in NC I'd have to say.
Lots of good stuff down in the piedmont around Charlotte/Raleigh area. Not a lot of "money" here in the mountains back in the day, so not a lot of nice vintage gear now. :smoke:
 
vintagestereo said:
I see those all the time out here for about the same price. But, if it makes you happy.....:thmbsp:

Chris, the thread title is "minor score". jocko is happy. That is what is important. Personally, I do not feel comfortable with your comment. It may not be a TOTL unit, but he is happy with his purchase.

jocko, good for you.
 
Last edited:
I've found nothing but lousy VCRs at 3 GW here.
Well there was that Panasonic portable stereo w/popout turntable feature!

Good for you though!!


Matt
 
JesusChrysler said:
I've found nothing but lousy VCRs at 3 GW here.
Well there was that Panasonic portable stereo w/popout turntable feature!

Good for you though!!


Matt

I have never, ever, found anything worthwhile at a GW. Have done well at yard sales, though. Don't give up hope jesus.
 
Generally, you have to be pretty persistent to get good stuff at thrifts, or better yet, lucky. I have gotten my share of nice deals that way.
 
I've all but given up here. We have proffesional thrifters who stake out the Deseret and GW's etc. These people know the employees,time new stuff comes out etc., and pretty much go around all day cherry picking the good stuff for later resale on the auction site and CL.
That little SX-535 is a $30-40. dollar unit here. so what you paid is not bad at all.
 
Nice piece. I have ALL of its older brothers. I need to add it and the only little brother it had to round out my collection. I'd gladly scoop one up for twice that.
 
Back
Top Bottom