• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"it's a fair price" or "You know how good a deal this is"

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
I like the CL lies that put one of these lines into the body of the posting. It seems the determination of the value of the item should be in the purchaser's domain but when this is stated right there in the posting, in public, how could one go wrong paying the asking price for something?

I know Time Windows hover around a c-note or so each, with some jumps up and way down, but these on CL are the ones to get because the seller says "IF YOU KNOW QUALITY SPEAKERS THEN YOU KNOW HOW GREAT OF A DEAL THIS IS." He is asking $400.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/1804154938.html
 
Register to hide this ad
The seller is trying to convince himself this is a great deal at $400. This is just like the guy who wanted $100 for every aging piece of electronics at his garage sale.
 
Last edited:
Blue Shadow said:
It seems the determination of the value of the item should be in the purchaser's domain

They absolutely do determine if the value is fair or not. Both of those pitches are from another time. I associate them as a gimmick to get an undecided / uninformed buyer to take a leap of faith and believe the deal was right and they better act fast. Pre-internet it was far easier to do this. That was then. I sell a fair amount on craigslist and always search comparables before I post for no other reason than the buyer will do the same thing. If your price isn't in line with others you won't even get a reply regardless of your prose.

I ALSO LOVE ALL CAPS POSTS. IT TAKES ME BACK TO THE USENET!!!!!! 8^)
 
Yeah, I just saw a post like that on my CL. Some dude with a Sansui black face system, crowing about how he got such a smokin' deal so he'll sell you the whole rig for what the tuner is worth ($400), just to get cash for his next new system. Full of runon sentences in all lower case, irrelevant info, etc. Didn't even list the model numbers. Probably the best thing, because he would have got an email from me after I looked them up. :D
 
I like the Craigslisters that try to sell an out-of-warranty 2-year-old HDTV for far more than what a new HDTV with warranty costs. They never want to consider that new HDTV prices have decreased rapidly; they only remember what they spent on their HDTV a couple of years ago.

Maybe if they hold onto it long enough to be an antique, its value might be worth what they are asking for it.
 
i wonder

:scratch2: Sometimes it crosses my mind that the seller actually fell for these lines when they bought them and are trying to recover some of the hosing they got. It amazes me how some people can live in their own little mind and the things they can believe. What I really hate is when they waste my time trying to convince me how right they are. I try not to be rude. I think the Freak Brother's said its bad luck to be mean to crazy people. An old Mexican belief or some such.

:D
 
You guy's should be ashamed of yourselves for busting out a poor old Country boy just trying to sell some speakers in the big city! I really take offense at you guy's critiquing my ad so harshly! JUST KIDDING!!:D:D:D

I bet he doesn't get a taker!
Regards,
Jim
 
I can think of some $2,000 speakers that will walk all over those time windows. Not that I don't like DCM, quite the contrary I currently own some TF 400's and back a few years owned some TF 600's. Good speakers to be sure, but competition for $3,500.00 speakers today, I don't think so.
 
One of my favorites was a pair of speakers that someone posted locally for $200 and said "the price is firm, I know what these are worth". Meanwhile similar speakers on e-bay were going unsold at $30. Some people think just because something is old and has a familiar brand name it must be valuable.
 
One does have to take into account the range of sophistication (or lack of) among both buyers and sellers. When sellers say "I know what this is worth" when they don't really seem to, some of them are 'creative marketers' and some of them really don't know they're wrong. I've learned to move on and ignore the ads where I don't like the product, price, attitude, grammar, etc. If I try to 'educate' everyone, I'll be there all day for relatively little gain.
 
One does have to take into account the range of sophistication (or lack of) among both buyers and sellers. When sellers say "I know what this is worth" when they don't really seem to, some of them are 'creative marketers' and some of them really don't know they're wrong. I've learned to move on and ignore the ads where I don't like the product, price, attitude, grammar, etc. If I try to 'educate' everyone, I'll be there all day for relatively little gain.

You mean like this:

duty_calls.png
 
They're selling for $400....so the question is....

I can think of some $2,000 speakers that will walk all over those time windows. Not that I don't like DCM, quite the contrary I currently own some TF 400's and back a few years owned some TF 600's. Good speakers to be sure, but competition for $3,500.00 speakers today, I don't think so.

can you find some $200 or $300 speakers, new or used, (and if you want to be fair, a speaker designed for farfield listening - you know, so that we're comparing apples to apples) that will 'walk all over' the TimeWindows....? I don't know. I think it would be pretty tough...

Just checked that auction site. Bidding starts @ $300 (and no 'buy it now' figure quoted, so the final purchase price may go up) for the only pair they have available, located in California.

The bellyaching I'm hearing in this thread is hitting me the wrong way. Don't you want to get a good price for the quality speakers you may be selling someday?
 
Last edited:
I "overpaid" for my TimeFrames (700s).

I did, that is, if you use the typical ePay prices and typical garage-sale bargains that AKers report getting periodically. I think I got a good deal, though. Why? First, because sonically these speakers punch way above their normal price, IMO. That is to say, to get comparably good sound in a different brand, you would usually expect to pay more money. Second, ePrey isn't actually the worldwide price equalizer that many seem to think it is. Speakers are large, heavy and expensive to ship, so local supply and demand may vary from one country or continent to another. My TFM-700s are the ONLY pair that I've EVER seen in Hong Kong. So if someone --in this case, I -- wants to get a pair, then (s)he should expect to pay a premium. This works both ways: some things that are more common here than elsewhere sell for cheaper prices locally.

Supply and demand are always at work in free-market pricing. Supply of these is greater in North America than it is in Hong Kong, which keeps prices down there. Supply is nearly non-existent here, so the price is higher. And yes, by agreeing to pay what I did for them, I (not the seller) determined what the price was. It didn't seem like it, because he fixed the price and wouldn't budge... but I knew (since he had them hooked up and playing) that they would sell to someone else if I didn't buy them, so I did. I decided they were worth that price to me, so the demand was there.

If I were selling my TimeFrames locally, I'd probably say something similar to what that seller said, because of the first reason mentioned above: they do sound better than most speakers in their price range, and to get similar-quality sound, you'd normally expect to pay more money. I'd set them up in a good demo system, and let the buyer hear them. Then I'd suggest that they could hear for themselves what a bargain these were (even at $400, which would probably be my opening/asking price for them). I might even tell them that the speakers sell more cheaply overseas, but that wouldn't matter, because if they want them, they'll pay my price, just as I paid the previous seller's price --because the supply HERE is extremely limited. (Incidentally, I've seen perhaps a dozen Time Windows; it is only the TimeFrames that are rare here.)

Where he is being deceptive, is that he is in a market where the speakers are abundant enough that there is a market price, and it is well below his asking price. Yes, he is playing psychological games. I'd only make such a claim in a market where it was true. To do it the way he is, is somewhat dishonest, and has to be bad Karma.
 
Arkay - That is so true - when you are outside the big markets, where supply seem fine, and demand is , well , it's there, a lot of other things affect's the price.

Here - certain things are nearly impossible to find , maybe because that thing never reaced this market, or only came in so few numbers that you simply can't find it ..

I had to take a little trip to a certain corner of France to get a set of Cabasé Brigantin IV loudspeakers - when the day came, that they had to leave the house to make place for a pair of Stiff_upper_Lips - the buyer of the speakers, had to put his share of the "freight cost" - if no, no speakers, and he did - for precise that reason ..

Like shipping big enclosures from Denmark to Hong Kong, it also can cost a dime or two, to get things from France or Germany.

I really hate it, when the vendors/suppliers/brands are thinking strategic, and regionalize things.
 
Back
Top Bottom