• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I've been quoted on Boston Craigslist- BA A150s


I am absolutely not understanding the lack of interest in the 150's....to my ear they're really fantastic speakers....I had some paradigms here that everybody and their mom seems to want and they weren't a pimple on the A150's ass......
 
Apparently they sold or at least the ad has been pulled. The A150's are my main speakers and a better choice for the money ($60. oak veneer) I could not have made. I followed them up with A70s, A60s and HD5s. No regrets on any of them. Great sound. Paul has great taste.
 
Apparently they sold or at least the ad has been pulled. The A150's are my main speakers and a better choice for the money ($60. oak veneer) I could not have made. I followed them up with A70s, A60s and HD5s. No regrets on any of them. Great sound. Paul has great taste.

Hello,
What are the measurement (HxDxW) of your A60s and how do they compare with their big brother the A150. Are they vinyl covered or wood veneer. If you know, what is the nominal impedance and in your opinions will they be a good math to a low power tube Amp (32WPC in Ultralinear and half that in triode).
Thanks.
 
The A60s are approx. 17x 7.5x 11 and they don't really compare with the A150s. The A60's are good for what they are, a 2-way with a cone tweeter. But the 3-way much larger A150s with an excellent Seas dome tweeter and suburb midrange is far preferable. The A60s are vinyl clad. A significant step up from the A60 would be the A70.

I wouldn't call a 32 WPC tube amp low powered, even at half that. Most tube amps in the 1950's early 60's were around 15 WPC. I can push my A150s to very loud levels with my 12 WPC continuous, 15 WPC max Pilot tube integrated and to very listenable levels with an 8 WPC Magnavox tube amp. IIRC the Bostons run around 92Db efficiency. Frankly I like the sound of the Boston Acoustics HD 5 and HD 7 driven by tubes, and they are smaller than the A60. IMO you can drive about anything above 86 Db comfortably with a 32 WPC tube amp so there are a lot of choices out there. I've heard but not heard (no pun intended) that horn loaded speakers sound very good with tubes.
 
Back
Top Bottom