• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

J.A. Michell Article

Register to hide this ad
I'm a Michell fan boy:p

I have a sweet 1979 Focus One and a 2015 Gyro SE in black...

IMG_0349.jpg IMG_2835.jpg IMG_2828.jpg IMG_1345_zpse3d035c0.jpg IMG_1683_zps684a9040.jpg IMG_1691_zps7c2c4441.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm a Michell fan boy:p

I have a sweet 1979 Focus One and a 2015 Gyro SE in black...

Black SE eh? Have I mentioned that I hate you?;)

I love my TD-125's & SME's, and would feel really guilty about buying a Gyro......Maybe that rotation thing......arrgh......
 
now i am jealous...I was just looking at the ad for that table a few minutes ago on CAM....congrats, well bought
 
now i am jealous...I was just looking at the ad for that table a few minutes ago on CAM....congrats, well bought

Believe me,it's been a long time coming! Every single time one comes up for sale (and I'm sure you know just how rare that is) I always miss out; someone always beats me to it.

Today was an odd day.I walked out on my job first thing this morning,got home early,saw the ad,contacted the seller,went to the bank,went and picked it up.No muss,no fuss.

For every door that closes,another always opens. :)
 
I am no longer jealous:p.......

Because I just scored a Michell Gyro SE with HR PSU today!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Oh man,I am so stoked:rockon:

We require proof around here or it didn't happen :p Photos mandatory:)

Congrats

So silver or black? what arm?
 
Thanks!

This one is silver,and came without arm. I'll be mounting my SME III & Ortofon 2M Black tomorrow.Pics are coming,I just didn't want you guys seeing her naked,haha.

I tried to find a webshot of a Gyro with an SME III,but nada. This things gonna look like it came out of Darth Vaders deno_O
 
Thanks!

This one is silver,and came without arm. I'll be mounting my SME III & Ortofon 2M Black tomorrow.Pics are coming,I just didn't want you guys seeing her naked,haha.

I tried to find a webshot of a Gyro with an SME III,but nada. This things gonna look like it came out of Darth Vaders deno_O
So you bought it and it has a SME board that's going to make life easy for you.
 
So you bought it and it has a SME board that's going to make life easy for you.

Yessir. The seller had three boards on offer,my choice which; SME,Rega & Linn.While I was kind of thinking about a Tecnoarm.....bah,I'll stick with what I know. Took the SME.
 
Yessir. The seller had three boards on offer,my choice which; SME,Rega & Linn.While I was kind of thinking about a Tecnoarm.....bah,I'll stick with what I know. Took the SME.

If you didn't get the clamp get one. You will also need to protect the platter surface and a Lazerdisc dose a good job for that, acting like a dust cover and looks cool. You can see one in my photos above.
 
If you didn't get the clamp get one. You will also need to protect the platter surface and a Lazerdisc dose a good job for that, acting like a dust cover and looks cool. You can see one in my photos above.
That's a good idea.
 
If you didn't get the clamp get one. You will also need to protect the platter surface and a Lazerdisc dose a good job for that, acting like a dust cover and looks cool. You can see one in my photos above.

Came with the clamp;and like every other aspect of this machine,a nice piece of engineering.

Agreed,excellent idea! Now,just where the heck does one get a Lazerdisc in this particular day and age? Believe me,if I could do the time travel thing,I wouldn't be hanging out here with you lot:rflmao:
 
arts....it is good to see someone, anyone, attain something that they have longed for, and has always just been outta grasp...congrats, and enjoy!
 
Ok,I've finally got this all finished up and dialed in:)

While I did not find the assembly or setting up particularly difficult,for someone who doesn't have a lifetime of experience with Thorens TD-125's,and is not a gearhead by nature,by trade, or by inclination, that might not be the case! Lot's of little steps and finesse required,and the ''meh,close enough'' attitude will not work here.This is clearly a precision instrument,and needs to be treated as such.What little information is available is sparse and seems to assume (note that the word ''ass'' is part of that word) that you are already familiar with the unit.

That said,I have to admit,assembling and then getting the levelling and bounce optimized is a LOT easier with the Gyro than with a Thorens.Mounting the tonearm was an absolute cinch; I was falling in love by this point....and damn,this thing is really well made.

All was not perfect though,and I have learned that to expect otherwise is an exercise in futility and disappointment. By nature,I'm one of those guys that checks and inspects everything without exception. A time consuming pain in the butt that always pays off,so I carry on.....

The most notable discrepancy was a distinct ''thunk/clunk'' while I was handling the aluminum deck.This manifested itself as I turned the deck over to look at the underside to inspect the sellers application of Densodamp,and ended up with me holding it vertically in front of my face and shaking it vigorously.Must have looked ridiculous,but it worked. The deck has six standoffs cast into it,three for each cast iron counterweight.The weights have counterbores that these standoffs socket into,through which screws pass in order to hold everything together.Well,it seems that all of the screws were too long,and were bottoming out in the standoffs before clamping down on the counterweights,thus the clunking as the weights were able to float around. A quick shortening of the screws (bout --80 thou) put everything right.

The next issue was my cables for the tonearm. Seems that unless you use connectors with very short barrels,there is not enough clearance to insert them. This comes about due to the armplate and it's isolators bringing the side-mount RCA's on my SME III almost directly inline with the edge of the deck.Arrgh!! Simple solution though (albeit temporary and tacky) ; I just unscrewed the barrels and slid them out of the way.Now to find some shorter plugs.

Next was the bearing oil change. No issues here,other than my wallet protesing the purchase of an entire quart of 0W40 synthetic for the capful I needed.I'll keep a couple of ounces for future changes and stuff the rest in the lawnmower.

On Thursday I contacted Artech Electronics,Montreal's Michell distributor, and ordered a new belt. Wow,that's gotta be the most expensive rubber band in frickin' history!!
Although the one on the unit is allegedly quite new,in for a penny and all that.

I received the original power supply with the unit, but also purchased the sellers HR PSU,as this unit receives wide and almost universal acclaim.Both are in great shape and function correctly. I will likely reverse-engineer the HR and sell it off as soon as I build a duplicate. And yes,I can actually hear an improvement with the HR.Weird...

Ok,I've prattled on for long enough.This was about fun tunes, not serious listening.That will come later.Chuck holding his horn is how I felt listening to this table for the first time,so here goes,here's the pics!!

Cheers,

Art

DSCF2519.JPG DSCF2524.JPG DSCF2521.JPG DSCF2530.JPG DSCF2526.JPG DSCF2533.JPG DSCF2534.JPG
.DSCF2519.JPG DSCF2524.JPG DSCF2521.JPG DSCF2530.JPG DSCF2526.JPG DSCF2533.JPG DSCF2534.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom