Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html
I made a quick j pole to try before buying a fm antenna. Holy $&^% it works, I did it with pipe and other steel I had around. Pulls stations like a bum on a hot biscuit.
If anyone is thinking about it just do it. Got the info from here just wanted to say thanks.
No pics of this one it is just a very cheep, ugly, nasty, temporary one. I am waiting for the nabors to complain. Now that I know they work great I will make a nice one with a mount on the side of my shop.
When i make the good one I will post pics.
DJ, here's a link to measurements for FM, http://jcgriffin.com/j_pole_fm_89_mhz.htm
I have one inside my garage that works ok. Roof would be much better but restrictive codes and bylaws prevent it in the neighborhood. Attic someday when I get a chance to run some coax.
The above actually seems a little longer than mine. You can size them to whatever frequency you want. Dozens of calculators for these guys out there, just search on j-pole calculator.
That's the site I used--tuned the antenna for a very low-power station that's on a native reserve up here--no commercials, no announcer, (I swear, it's someone's iPod on 'shuffle') and a 'weather-by-the-window' report every couple days!
Put the thing up on a 50-foot mast and this J-pole pulled it in like a champ :thmbsp:
I, too, used 1/2-inch copper pipe and fittings. One suggestion I read was to stabilize the little part of the 'J'; I cut an old paint mixing stick, drilled two holes in it, and slipped it over the copper before I soldered it all together. This way the whole shebang stays nice and parallel, prevents tuning-fork-like actions, telemarketing calls will stop, and your true crush will reveal themselves!
Finished mine about 3 weeks ago. So far unimpressed with performance. Wanted a 3 kw station 21 mile away and so far only listenable signal is mono. What I thought was RG6 was not so I am going to substitute a 50 ft length for the yard sale RG 58 I used. Just need a couple more DBs. Built it from copper, used 3/4 inch for the mount. Put an Flashing LED on the top, ran some 22 ga speaker wire thru the antenna and piggy backed it onto the 75 ohm. At the tuner we used an old cell phone charger and hooked it to the switched ac outlet. Looks pretty cool at night. FCC compliant LOL. Jim