• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

J.S. Bach: What's your favorite?

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
Lately I just cannot get enough of his music, namely that for solo instruments, particularly when it's played on a harpsichord.

But one thing I noticed is that I clearly prefer his aforementioned types of music to others, like, for example, the wildly popular (in the world of classical music) Brandenburg Concertos. Perhaps I just need more time with these, and something will click later, but with the Brandenburg Concertos I hear skillfully composed and pleasant music. With something like "The Art of Fugue," on the other hand, I hear true genius. Maybe it's just a matter of taste?

Today I started reading Bach: The Learned Musician, by Christoph Wolff. In the prologue Wolff explains how Bach's most infamous and accomplished works cover a range of compositional techniques, and lays some of them out in the following manner:

-fugue and canon (The Art of Fugue)
-major-minor tonality (Well Tempered-Clavier)
-harmonic expansion (the Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue)
-extended polyphony (the unaccompanied violin, cello, and flute pieces)
-instrumentation (Brandenburg Concertos)

...[here I skip one]
-small-scale form (the Orgel Buechlein) and large-scale form (the St. Matthew Passion)
-style and compositional technique, from retrospective to modern (the B-Minor Mass)
*

As someone who could at best be considered an amateur musician, this is the first time Bach's work has been laid out for me this way. I'm familiar with fugue and canon, for example, and obviously "The Art of Fugue" is an example of that. I suppose my point is that I didn't realize how academic Bach's approach to composing music was. Wolff describes it as scientific, which is really a much more accurate way to put it.

So this is another way to look at Bach's music, and one more reason to admire his work. Thus I find myself powerfully drawn to the second example in that list, books I and II of "Das Wohltemperierte Klavier" ("The Well-Tempered Clavier"). I now have both sets (books I and II) of this on the Musica Omnia label, performed on a harpsichord that was tuned using the recently discovered well-tempered tuning that many now believe was Bach's original intention, and the meaning of the title of the work itself. Listening to these discs, night after night, I feel like I've discovered something in the world of music I'll still be trying to wrap my head around decades from now.

I find myself similarly mesmerized by his "English Suites", "The Art of Fugue," and a newly acquired CD of his complete "Orgel Buechlein."

Has anyone else looked at Bach's music this way? Regardless of the answer to that question, do you find you prefer some of his music, but don't care for other pieces?

*Wolff, Christoph, Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician. New York, London: W.W. Norton and Company, 2001.
 
Register to hide this ad
Johann's all good. I started on his Toccata and Fugue in Dm as my entry piece 40 years ago, and have moved around his work ever since. His Suites for Solo Cello held me for years, as did the Brandenburgs. Art of Fugue currently draws me in. An absolutely remarkable, unique, and irreplaceable artist.

Needless to say, I believe he was onto something, beyond epoch.
 
Sonatas and Partitas for violin
Lute Suites
Cello Suites

I used to drink Scotch, now I listening to Bach.

RC
 
G'day all, yes J.S. Bach is a musical genius. I just love all his stuff, but the Brandenburg Concerto's, violin sonatas along with his fugue's are personal favourites. His choral works are breathtaking in their beauty and complexity.

Yet in his time although he was highly regarded, he wasn't seen as the musical genius he is now. :music: Regards, Felix aka catman.
 
Toccata and Fugue played on a pipe organ, THE BEST!! Nothing better than the lows from an organ!!
 
In my opinion JSB is one of the greatest composers ever. As such, one needs to approach his music with an open mind and spirit, patience and faith in that something, at some point, will happen. Being exposed to his music, many things can happen, depending on many factors including yourself. I could only list a few of the the experiences you may encounter: a deep, moving feeling (like in some chorals or arias from one of the Passions); plain, simple, direct joy (like in the opening of the Christmas Oratorio or some of the Bradenburg concerti) or feel the incredible intelectual, deep, beautiful, symmetric architecture of some the more intimate and elaborated pages (perhaps the harpshichord pages you mentioned, or the Art of the Fugue).

I´m sorry, words are never good for describing music: try it yourself, imbbed yourself in this, don´t be shy!
My advice: get everything you can, and start being exposed to that material many times, and suddenly a miracle will happen to you and you will understand and appreciate why his work is so valuable for many people.
 
I like what Garrison Keillor said of J.S. Bach (I paraphrase) - a great composer, organist, a genius, and a Lutheran. :-)
 
Im a big fan of his works for the clavier...

Gould is a must, check out is 1955 and his later recording (83?)
Its nice to compare his youthful exhuberance with his later mature structure and pace.
partitas for clavier,
english suites,
cello suites,
2 part inventions

The brandenburgs are some of my favorites, but they did take a bit of listening to really "get", also ive found that, personally, i need a really choice recording with good conducting to suit my tastes. Individual lp's can be hit or miss
 
All I will do is repeat what has already been said. I agree that the solo pieces he composed are at times absolute genius. I have a 4 cd set: J.S. Bach, Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin and Cello Suites. This is as close to perfection in music as is possible. My set is on Virgin Classics, Christian Tetzlaff violin, Ralph Kirshbaum Cello. Tetzlaff is probably the best technical violinist in the world. Had the pleasure of seeing him perform some Beethovan in Philadelphia about two years ago. Partita No.2 is the pinnacle of the solo violin repertoire. The Cello suites are awesome, close to God, absolute genius, not background music, serious stuff!
 
He is the computer programmer's composer, following the intricacies of his compositions will keep me engaged for hours.
 
Back
Top Bottom