• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jaco Pastorius on Netflix

Jayrosc

Super Member
There's a terrific documentary about the self proclaimed "greatest bass player in the world" on Netflix that you should check out. This guy was indeed remarkable and different. And the film serves as a reminder that there are many different ways to make extraordinary music.
I was lucky enough to see him play back in the late 70's in a bullshit bar gig in Woodstock NY. A true original.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thanks much...will definitely watch.
Coincidentally, just yesterday found out he was the bass player on Joni Mitchell's Hejira LP (and also found the cover pic for it was taken near my home...never knew that either!)
 
Yes. Lost my Mingus (and Changes I II ) LPs, need to get the cds now!
A very good film and tribute to his talents, wish his family well.
Also noticed there's a (untitled, oddly) Rodrigo y Gabriella version of his Continuum right at the very end...another interesting 'link'!
 
Speaking of early days, I used to listen to a fellow named Kenny Gwen down in the Village (NYC) and Jaco would play with him from time to time. It was pure bliss. A clip for your enjoyment...
 
Thanks much...will definitely watch.
Coincidentally, just yesterday found out he was the bass player on Joni Mitchell's Hejira LP (and also found the cover pic for it was taken near my home...never knew that either!)

There's a good documentary of a 1980 Joni Mitchell concert called Shadows and Light, which features Jaco (and Metheny)—


(Jaco at about 24:35 plays a funky Hendrix-inspired solo using some delay effects. I get the feeling he scared some of the folkies away, lol...)
 
Jayrosc, thanks for the tip!

Watched it the other night and learned a lot.

I've been into the funked out, pre-Jaco Weather Report, lately.

Now I want the "Word Of Mouth" record.
 
Yes, thanks for the heads-up, Jayrosc! Something good on Netflix; I'll be sure to watch. And Bright Size Life has been a favorite of mine since its release, bobins08, especially for the bass.
 
There's a good documentary of a 1980 Joni Mitchell concert called Shadows and Light, which features Jaco (and Metheny)—


(Jaco at about 24:35 plays a funky Hendrix-inspired solo using some delay effects. I get the feeling he scared some of the folkies away, lol...)
I actually have this show on laserdisc. Nice indeed
 
Back
Top Bottom