• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jamo Dynamic Range

What Quality Are Jamo Speakers


  • Total voters
    29

FeaRThiS

New Member
Hi I'm new here but have got a set of jamo d2e speakers and a set of jamo d5e speakers. Just wanted to know what peoples thoughts are on the sound quaility from these speakers. I havent recieved the d5e's yet will be delievered next week. But on the d2e's the foam has all started breaking away so have taken them out cleaned them up and now they are ready for refoaming. Just wondered thought would it be worth me changing all the speakers in the cabs to a higher quality drivers would i need to change the crossover? If I was to change them i would change all of the ones in the d5e's also to match the sound quality? Any ideas suggestions? I will still keep the original drivers thought and refoam them incase there is every a day when i need them to be original once again.
I'm sure someone must know sumthing about the quality of these.
Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • Dynamic series.pdf
    Dynamic series.pdf
    732.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 317a_12.jpg
    317a_12.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 3346_12.jpg
    3346_12.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 34
  • d5e1.jpg
    d5e1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 58
  • d5e.jpg
    d5e.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 86
Register to hide this ad
I have a pair of Jamo Magics that had a wonderful synergy with my bedroom system. A neighbor in the 80s used to have a big pair of dual woofer Jamos that were definitely aimed at the high end market. I recall they were mentioned in the new products section of the American magazine "Stereo Review".

As for tweaking your speakers, I'd keep the current drivers and refoam the woofers. If you must tweak, I'd attack the crossover first. Upgrade or bypass any electrolytics. Lots of AK posts on how to do it - just search.

When you get the big D5Es, take a look at the tweeters and see if they have a real horn behind the cheese grater face. I think I've seen a pair of D2s and they only had a cheap cone tweeter behind it.
 
Yer i had my d2's apart 2day removing the old foam and cleaning it up and the tweeters dont look to clever but to be honest up until me rippng the foam off i was getting a quite nice sound from them if anything may have been lackin in bass. Once i do get my d5's would you recommend replacing the tweeters on both sets of speakers or just leaving them as stock?
Cheers
Aaron
 
jamo dynamic d5e

I personally think they can sound amazing with the right sound source. I would like an orignal pair myself, rather than ones that has been messed about with. I once heard a pair of dynamic d5e that had 2 jamo d115 midrange squakers between the horn(soft dome) and the grills(cone) and no bass reflex on the front. They had writeing saying Dynamic on the left side with a white line down it and the d5e had a curly shaped e. The bass cone looked different to any speaker i have seen anywhere. I believe it had the same cone tweeter as the d110. The amplifier and the rest of the system was a no comprimise to cost, very very very high end system(extremely close to perfection). The clarity of these speakers with the right stereo will allow you to hear everything on the recording. They can produce a transaural sweet spot at any listening point u like. I would say they are a good highend pair of speakers. Let me know what you think of them when you get them ?

Here are some pics of models that u probably didnt know existed

6042_1.JPG Just look at the base on this model

jamo_d5_1.jpg basically a d5e with rearranged parts

jamod5eweird.JPG D6e - Did they really go that far or are these just speaker kits That someones built up

jamodynamic150.JPG What is the dynamic 150 ?

44_1.JPG Compaire this base to your one


The pair i heard had a configuration of speakers like the one in the pic below. please excuse my quick editing. its only an example of how they looked.

d5eno4.JPG
 
I've never heard a pair of JAMO that I liked, of course this is just my personal opinion.

IIRC, they are cone tweeters behind those diffusers.
 
I agree with Skinley. I have been disappointed with Jamo speakers in the past. Build quality very ordinary. I currently own a Jamo DVD player, Model DVD 953, and it has been nothing but trouble; totally unreliable.
 
Well I do agree Jamo don't make the best speakers around but for the money that you can pick a second hand pair up they are definatly above average for the price. And the D5e speakers where possibly one of jamos best sets of speakers that they every made these where made when Jamo where at the top of there game and dont have the same usual quality of the D365's and D265's trust me I know i have got a set of each of these sat in a cupboard.
 
Well I do agree Jamo don't make the best speakers around but for the money that you can pick a second hand pair up they are definatly above average for the price. And the D5e speakers where possibly one of jamos best sets of speakers that they every made these where made when Jamo where at the top of there game and dont have the same usual quality of the D365's and D265's trust me I know i have got a set of each of these sat in a cupboard.

Which is better would you say out of the d5e and the 265 - 365 ?

Id personally say the d5e are in a different league to the 265 - 365 but id also say that it all depends on what stereo your running them on. I do believe that they was designed as a transaural sound accostics. I have never heard a clearer set of speakers than these and that is after hearing £4000 plus speakers rigged up in shops. The ones in your picture dont look like it has the original base cone. The pair i heard was giving out full 3d sound(including behind) and it was too dam realistic to life. The amp ,cd and equalizer(2x14 band) had no manufacturers names on them. I believe they was specialized to run the speakers perfectly and it sounded like heaven.
 
I dont really think that you can compare the d365'2 and d265's with the d5e's the D365's + 265's are big and loud that about all. But the d5e's with the correct drivers in can really fill your room if you close your eyes you would never image that they are jamo speakers after listeing to the usual off the shelf bodged speakers they sell.

If anyones intrested I am actually gettin some new cabs made so that i can actually go ahead and make some Speakers that look amazing and yes i will be using all original d5e drivers for this build and as much of this crossover as i can mite have to get a bit added. Take a look this is just my photochop at the miunte working on all the messurments should have a proper 3D cad drawing somtime in the next few weeks.

And before anyone asks yes i will be using 24ct gold plating on all of the gold parts you see ;)
 

Attachments

  • Speakers copy.jpg
    Speakers copy.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 67
Thats a great idea to build your own design. The gold idea looks nice. You can give yourself different height,width, depth to the dirrection of the sound depending on where you place the tweeters ect. Ive been thinking about building my own someday when i get some money. post up some more pictures for us to see and put a poll on them to see what everyone thinks
 
I just thought id mention that i heard a £20 000 system today and i thought it was a load of rubbish. I couldnt justify the price of it at all. The sound quality was pethetic for the price. Id have to feel really sorry for someone wasteing that much money on something that wasnt outstanding. I believe that shops are really ripping people off. I was told it is very close to what the muscians intended it to sound but it sounded average to me in comparison to other systems i have listened to in the past. Have anyone else heard expensive equipment and thought the same as i have done ?
 
I remember when Jamo (pronounced yamo) first came out. A friend of mine carried them in his store. I was told under no uncertain terms that Jamo is pronounced Yamo but we all know how that goes just look at 'Denon' , 'NEC', 'WEGA' among others. . .

At first they were odd looking but sounded great except no bass. . . They were detailed as hell but had little bass. . .Since then I see them on occasion. . .my friend still carries them as an alternative to more mainstream speakers. He carries mostly high dollar and Botique type speakers with huge mark-ups along with brands you don't see at CC or BB. . .
 
I was just wondering on how important sound is to everyone on this forum. I have heard people say does it really matter on how it sounds. The answer to that question from me is yes its very very important. I find that on a properly set up high end system the music effects me emotionally and makes my stomach churn where it sounds so exciting and alive and real. where as on the average piece of rubbish i get bored of it in 2 seconds and cant apriciate or handle listening to it for very long as you cant hear the tones or hardly anything and its flat lifeless with no expression. I have listened to stereos that are hard to switch off where they sound so nice.

What do you all think about the quality of the stereo system to how you enjoy the listening experience ?

Does it matter to u ?
 
yer I know where your coming from on that 1 the quality is really important if it just sound flat and lifeless it just gets turned off straight away. I have my d5e's connected up to my beocenter 9000 and i think it sounds amazing i often sit there for hours just listening to my music ( or making some of my own).

As this is a Jamo fourm and you guys seem to know a lot about these seakers has any 1 got any info on the D 260's i have quite a few jamos in my collection but i am now looking at buyin these just want to know if any has the official specbefore i buy them.

**Mod Edit** No offers to buy or sell in the forum. AK Classifieds is the place for that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
re

i cannot seem to find any inforamation on the d260. I do remember seeing many different models. d110, d115,d135,d165,d265,d266,d365.d365A. well i probably missed half a million of them. I say get them and if you dont like them get rid of them. Im sure any of the d models are likey to sound good if you play with an equalizer on some good equipment.
 
re

I dont really think that you can compare the d365'2 and d265's with the d5e's the D365's + 265's are big and loud that about all. But the d5e's with the correct drivers in can really fill your room if you close your eyes you would never image that they are jamo speakers after listeing to the usual off the shelf bodged speakers they sell.

If anyones intrested I am actually gettin some new cabs made so that i can actually go ahead and make some Speakers that look amazing and yes i will be using all original d5e drivers for this build and as much of this crossover as i can mite have to get a bit added. Take a look this is just my photochop at the miunte working on all the messurments should have a proper 3D cad drawing somtime in the next few weeks.

And before anyone asks yes i will be using 24ct gold plating on all of the gold parts you see ;)

Hi mate, did you finish your cad drawing or have you manage to build a pair yet. If you have could you post some pictures. thanks.
 
Never got round to the cad drawings did do diagrams of them and have found someone who can build them for me but started up dj'in again and am tempted to sell all my jamo's and buy a new set of cerwin vegas for my dj'in. Not really sure whats happening at the minute.
 
Back
Top Bottom