• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 033 vs. 066 vs. 052ti, opinions?

tarior

Dirty pool, old man?
Subscriber
It seems that lately I've been hearing alot of recommendations regarding the 052ti tweeter to replace the 033. Anybody out there have much experience with both? I really like the 033, and might like the 066 just a touch better, but I've never heard any speakers which utilized the 052ti. Ti doesn't necessarily mean "better" to me, i've heard plenty of metal domes that sounded plenty metallic. However, they seem reasonably priced as far as JBL stuff goes, and unlike 033 and 066 still available new...:scratch2: Discuss.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've used lots of 035Ti (the tweeter the 052Ti replaced- it's essentially the same tweeter) in 4313s, L150s and such. MUCH improved performance than the original. It's like FINALLY having the last third of the top octave intact! Imaging is much better, and transient response sounds more REAL.

Replacing an 066 or 044 with an 035 is easy, as far as wiring is concerned- no changes are required. However, in a system with an 033, you probably are looking at crossover changes, as, IIRC, the 033 is crossed over lower and at a shallower slope than the 066 or 044. However- in most speakers with 033s or 034s (L110, L150 original version, etc), there's an equivalent "analog" that you can copy a crossover from... for the L110, use the L96 crossover- or even better, the 4313B crossover; for the L150, use the L150A crossover...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Thanks Gordon. I might have to see if I can scrounge up a pair, just for the sake of experimentation.
 
Back
Top Bottom