• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 100 Century:

Karmices

AK Super Member
Subscriber
Looking at getting a pair of 100's from the original owner who bought then new in 1976 or 1977. He sent me a photo of the speakers and one has the older black and white JBL logo and the other has the orange and white JBL logo. Is this an issue other than labels being different? Affect on value?
 
Register to hide this ad
Different logo colors are from different JBL L100's speaker versions.

Black and white could be early version, if aligned drivers higher collector's value, not aligned or Century (I have a pair of these).
The orange and white logo is for the JBL L100A version, the latest version produced I think around 1977-1978.

Then either you have two different versions of speakers, that couldn't be purchased at the same time OR the owner just bought a new sticker and put it to the old speaker after some repairs where done.

There are tons of JBL experts here that could give you more accurate information about it, but pretty much that's it.

Obviously the best is to have best pair same version and closest serial numbers as possible.
 
Last edited:
I always thought the logo color was a way of dating the speakers. The black and white logo was pre 1977 and orange and white logo was used in the late 70's. I could be wrong and probably am. Attached is a photo of the speakers.
 
Last edited:
Those ate nice. Bern allot of really nice JBLs aournd here recently. I think some 4312 that lasted a day at a crazy price.
 
Correction

I always thought the logo color was a way of dating the speakers. The black and white logo was pre 1977 and orange and white logo was used in the late 70's. I could be wrong and probably am. Attached is a photo of the speakers.

By versions I meant year of production. Just in case.
 
l100 century.

These are mine.
580846_10151074254346445_58283788_n.jpg
 
Do some research.

I guess passing on these since they're miss matched is a good idea.

You could ask the owner about it and see what kind of story he tells you.
The only thing I would do before deciding anything else is to check the drivers/crossovers. Get the specs for both Century and L100A, check drivers and those will tell you the story behind them.

If they match one or the other you can always find the other sticker and get them right.

Of course if the price is right.
 
You could ask the owner about it and see what kind of story he tells you.
The only thing I would do before deciding anything else is to check the drivers/crossovers. Get the specs for both Century and L100A, check drivers and those will tell you the story behind them.

If they match one or the other you can always find the other sticker and get them right.

Of course if the price is right.

The owner told me that he bought them together new when he was stationed in Germany in 1976 or 1977. He never realized they were different until I made note of it. The original brown waffle grills are shot.
 
Wow, under $400.00.?. i was thinking these would be way down (maybe $150 range) since they're not matched. He said to make him an offer. I'm going to go take a look at them next week. I'll keep you posted.
 
Sweet you can get them if they don't match and sell the drivers for one and get them from e pay ... in good shape here they go up to 1k!
 
The L 100 Century I had were the early ones and I read they had a better crossover than the second version 100's. Double click on the pic for a larger view. Yea the previous owner was into tittie pinching the tweeter's dust cover LOL it didn't hurt the sound...
 

Attachments

  • 2011-03-03 14.32.07.jpg
    2011-03-03 14.32.07.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2011-03-03 14.32.36.jpg
    2011-03-03 14.32.36.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The century 100 I had were the early ones and I read they had a better crossover than the second version 100's. Click on the pic for a larger view.

I think you're correct. Yours were earlier and more desirable inline 100's.
 
Back
Top Bottom