• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4408's - Pretty good!

Bauhausler

Rational Subjectivist
All;
I acquired this pair of JBL 4408 speakers locally because I didn't have any easy speaker projects to fool with at the moment. The woofers needed foam so the price wasn't too bad. The cabs are in nice shape and will be better once I get after them with sand paper and oil. Yesterday I re-foamed the woofers and let them dry over night. They came out perfect. I'm running them in now. These have a tweeter level control that I have to turn down to around -8 to get well balanced sound. This may change as the woofer surrounds break in and the woofer sensitivity comes up. As it is, these are ridiculously bright when set at the 'flat' position.
I like the midrange on these. It's a little forward but that's not bad in my large room. They have surprisingly good bass for a ported 8" woofer in a 1/2 cu ft cabinet. It's nice and solid down to 50 hz or so. I'm using them now with a sub rolled in at 70 hz. I don't think I'd find the bottom end adequate by themselves, but with the subs they balance out very well.
The build quality is nice. Cabinets veneered in walnut on 5 sides. Sturdy binding posts instead of spring clip speaker wire connectors. The crossover has big coils and no electrolytics.
This pair are 20 years old. I understand they cost $500 new. That would be a very good value for the parts and build quality compared to typical $500 speakers in 1987.
 

Attachments

  • Dsc07756.jpg
    Dsc07756.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 445
  • Dsc07772.jpg
    Dsc07772.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 357
  • Dsc07773.jpg
    Dsc07773.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 697
Register to hide this ad
Thanks for the info. I'm listening to them now and they're very pleasant. I hope the woofer level will come up in sensitivity as the new surrounds loosen up.

One of the tweeters had a defect. A lead wire had corroded through where it was in contact with the paper disk of the diaphragm. I had to splice in a replacement lead. I used 26ga wire, which is much larger but is the smallest that I can comfortably handle. I did the soldering under a stereo microscope. I had only about 30/1000" of wire length to work with. It worked fine. This is not the first time I've had to fix a JBL lead wire that opened up. I wonder how many repairable tweeters have been tossed.
 

Attachments

  • Dsc07758.jpg
    Dsc07758.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Dsc07765.jpg
    Dsc07765.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 291
Is the plastic still over the XO / port bezel?

It is. I don't know why except maybe that speaker had never had the grille removed by the original owner.
I'm really liking the sound of these. Rolled off to a sub at around 70 hz, they rock really hard. I think I'm going to be breaking in these woofers faster than I usually do.
As Z pointed out, these are technically Pro series speakers, but I wonder how many actually saw commercial use and how many were used as 'pro-type' home speakers. To me, 'pro' means total functionality, and walnut veneered backs aren't necessary.
 
The entire 4400 series of small-format Studio Monitors is built that way.

Only thing I can think is they're often sitting in front of the window to the studio itself, and the backs are visible from inside, where the artists, and sometimes the client, might be duly impressed by the finish.... :yes:
 
I got a pair of these as a gift from a friend who didn't need them in his home studio any more.

They're a very nice, fairly-accurate near-field monitor.
 
woofers

Just refoamed mine and they are breaking in to the BLACK KEYS El Camino on LP

thru my Pioneer PL630 TT and TOMCAT Merlitta el84 Tube amp and tube phono pre

wow!!!!!!! sounds sooo fffffffffffffiiiiiiiin goood
 
I also received a pair of 4408's. They're in need of some restoration work but are playable (listening to them as I type). I'm absolutely impressed by them - so much so that I actually like them better than the 4410's that I also own. The foams are in great shape too!

I have to replace the speaker terminals on both, light refinishing of the cabinet, repaint the fronts and fill in a few holes drilled into the fronts (and a 1-inch hole in the backs!?). Also needed is replacing the grill cloths. All the parts are on order.
 
They look exactly like mine but they sound like my laptop speakers! What's up with that? :banana:

:scratch2:my bad i assume everyone is a freak like me and has a set of high quality speakers and amp for the PC . If you can listen to the video throuh a quality sound card/speekrs or even hi quality headphones....:music:
 
:scratch2:my bad i assume everyone is a freak like me and has a set of high quality speakers and amp for the PC . If you can listen to the video throuh a quality sound card/speekrs or even hi quality headphones....:music:

I owe you an apology. I just happened to watch the video from my laptop. Trust me, I'm the poster child of that 'freak' you mentioned above. My desktop system connects to the NAD pre-amp and the two Yamaha Pro power amps that feed the pair of JBL studio monitors that are listed in my sig. Would I be an 'uber-freak' if I mentioned the 27000+ MP3's? :yes:
 
mp3s

im an analog guy so Im a firm believer in analog source , amplification, and of course the speakers and my ears are analog but i have 200 gigs of mp3s and aac and apple lo2sless adding up to 0ver 18 k songs lol pc throug airtunes in the listening room and controlled through a tablet i can play digital through the tubes from the puter in the bedroom! (FREAK) i use it cto compare vinyl to 10101010101 and the tubes really "re warm" the cold lifeless mp3s lol:banana:

in fact yesterday i FINALLY recieved a replacement tweeter for a set of RSL 3600 monitors ive had on the bench for 3 years looking for a tweeter (clone/compitition for JBL L100) and i was suprised! they sounded very nice need a few more hrs to really put my finger on it tons of bass and decent sound stage left mid lpad is wonky but listenable for sure.......
 
I owe you an apology. I just happened to watch the video from my laptop. Trust me, I'm the poster child of that 'freak' you mentioned above. My desktop system connects to the NAD pre-amp and the two Yamaha Pro power amps that feed the pair of JBL studio monitors that are listed in my sig. Would I be an 'uber-freak' if I mentioned the 27000+ MP3's? :yes:

no apology ! im just proud of how good that video came out on muy mini HD video recorder! plus that being a first pressing of that album and the 4408's sounding awesome i was just like a proud papa lol
 
Back
Top Bottom