• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4412 Cabinet Finish

BSPAudio

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have 2 sets of JBL 4412. One set is a normal darker walnut finish. My 2nd set is more of a golden oak finish.

Did JBL offer these in 2 different finishes?



1791386168692.png

1791386334248.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
my guess is the lighter ones are original

the darker speakers may have been dark from the factory, but the scratches, sanding swirls and blotchiness are not original
 
Last edited:
The scratches, etc are probably just from years of use and some abuse.

The dark cabinet doesn't necessarily look like its been refinished but that's kind of my main question. I know there is always different variations over the years during production. Another thing I found is that the crossovers are different.

Maybe there is 2 generations of these 4412. I know there is a 4412A that has a black vinyl cabinet. Maybe there was a dark and light 4412?



1791457204633.png


1791457241604.png
 
The 4412A is not just a black cabinet, it’s a completely upgraded speaker (drivers and crossover) and downgraded cabinet / grille frame.

Environment can have a lot of influence on how the wood veneer ages, and I agree that it is possible that the finish changed in production as well as possibly it was re-veneered (well I might ad) in the nearly half-century it has been around.

I feel that the dark ones look more like what I’m used to in JBLs of the era.
 
I dont think JBL would've used two pieces of veneer joined on the top of a speaker like the darker one. I could be wrong but I dont remember ever seeing that.
 
The scratches, etc are probably just from years of use and some abuse.
yes, the scratches are from years of use. The sanding swirls are from a poor refinish job

The dark cabinet doesn't necessarily look like its been refinished but that's kind of my main question.
it's pretty clear that it has been refinished, the blotchiness of the stain are from poor preparation in the refinishing process

I know there is always different variations over the years during production. Another thing I found is that the crossovers are different.
Maybe there is 2 generations of these 4412.
that could be, I have the 4412A and the crossovers look more like the second one you posted
 
I dont think JBL would've used two pieces of veneer joined on the top of a speaker like the darker one. I could be wrong but I dont remember ever seeing that.
the reason you don't notice it is because JBL cabinets from the factory are finished by professionals who make a very good attempt at hiding seams

The darker cabinet the OP posted has been poorly sanded and poorly stained by someone who didn't know what they are doing, that's why it's very obvious there are two pieces of veneer but it was "book-matched" at the factory which is what a pro would do
 
Last edited:
When I get home this evening I'll inspect the darker ones a little more close. It never really crossed my mind that they were re-veneered or re-finished.

I was able to see 1 example on Ebay that had the lighter cabinet. Maybe that's how they were produced originally?
 
if you look closely, you'll see three pieces of veneer, all very nicely "book-matched"

Yeah I know it was done on the sides (and fronts like my 250Ti's) but haven't seen a top done. I guess I wasn't looking for it before...and yes JBL were masters at it.
 
Back
Top Bottom