• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Apollo C51

JohnMac

Addicted Member
I'm looking at a nice pair of these cabs, loaded with the D130 wide range drivers and the 075 tweeters.

Question is, how do they sound? They would be used with low powered SE tube amps and mostly vinyl. Currently using Dynaco 25s, JBL Lancer 44, AR2AX, AR4X, Wharfdale W70. Any input would be appreciated.

John
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very good sounding speaker... I just sold a pair of C36's with a very similar load.. D123 and the 075.. Lots of bass, and the highs are smooth.. and the mids are all there..

Some people don't care for the 075 because they say they are too focused and don't dispurse wide enough... I don't find that too much myself. I really liked the sound of them..

Had I of not found a lot bigger pair of JBL's I would have never sold the 36's
 
I have heard a pair loaded like that. There is better midrange with the LE-175 or LE-85 or 2420s. Depending on the cost, they might be worth picking up. I have my Apollos loaded with 2420/H91s and LE-14 woofers. The other problem with the Apollos is the bass driver. If you are going to keep them, get rid of the D-130s and use LE-14s with an adapter mother board plate. They are much more suitable for the available cabinet volume and sound night and day better. I think the 15" woofers in the Apollo cabs was a definite design flaw.:yes:
 
Just amazes me how everyone can't accept the older JBL C series cabs loaded as they were and enjoy them for what they are... Everyone tried to tell me I needed to change this or that with mine. The people that actually heard them and listened to them thought they sounded pretty fantastic too... and yes, we all knew they could be made better for a lot more money... but they were still worth a lot as they sat..

Granted, ANY speaker can be made to sound better, but even as they were, they sounded pretty damn good... Better than most anything you could get for a comperable price today..
 
Some of those drivers get pretty pricey. However, it looks like the D130s would finance a switch. Apparently a great guitar speaker.
 
Last edited:
Yeah.. the D130 does sell for a good price... but to me, that's a part of owning a pair of good old JBL's.. the sound they built into them..
 
Just amazes me how everyone can't accept the older JBL C series cabs loaded as they were and enjoy them for what they are... Everyone tried to tell me I needed to change this or that with mine. The people that actually heard them and listened to them thought they sounded pretty fantastic too... and yes, we all knew they could be made better for a lot more money... but they were still worth a lot as they sat..

Granted, ANY speaker can be made to sound better, but even as they were, they sounded pretty damn good... Better than most anything you could get for a comperable price today..

Simi, I'm not dissing the original load in the speakers. They sound better than most speakers I have heard. They were offered in many different configurations, this one just not being my favorite. The other drivers I mentioned were also stock loads and to me sound better. There were conversion kits made for the Apollos to swap out the woofers and tweeters. The only thing I am dissing is the loaded 15" woofers- they are not meant for such a small cab and will roll off at about 60Hz. You need a sub. However, with changing the woofer you would also have to change the tweeter to a compression driver suitable to cross at 1200Hz as the LE-14 does not work as well as the D-130 at higher frequencies. I don't know, it does sound expensive but it really makes these perform as they should. If you like them as they are, you still would have a very good pair of speakers. My .02
 
If a person doesn't like the 130's the D123's would play better in that box, and not need all the other changes too...
 
If a person doesn't like the 130's the D123's would play better in that box, and not need all the other changes too...

Are those suitable to cover up to 2400Hz? I am assuming that is the crossover in those cabs. I had never even considered them. :scratch2:
 
I did a quick search and it looks like there would be considerable equity in swapping the 130 for the 123.
 
I'd go with the JBL over the Altec... but that's just me.. .

The Altec will have a lot nicer mids, but the JBL with reach higher with the 075. I also believe if you went with the D123 in the 51's that you'd probably have a little better bass.. I would like to hear them side by side though to know for sure..
 
I generally like JBL drivers better than Altec but I think the Valencias are a better all around speaker than the Apollos. I own both and that is my opinion.
 
Just amazes me how everyone can't accept the older JBL C series cabs loaded as they were and enjoy them for what they are... Everyone tried to tell me I needed to change this or that with mine. The people that actually heard them and listened to them thought they sounded pretty fantastic too... and yes, we all knew they could be made better for a lot more money... but they were still worth a lot as they sat..

Granted, ANY speaker can be made to sound better, but even as they were, they sounded pretty damn good... Better than most anything you could get for a comperable price today..
Agreed. Although better sound may be had with upgraded drivers, my preference would be to leave them original. After all, the collectibility issue notwithstanding, is that not what vintage audio is all about?
 
I just got back from trying them out with a 5 WPC SE tube amp and came away unimpressed. Granted it may not have been the best setting for an audition but still found them quite uninteresting. I'd like to A/B them in my room with my other speakers, but at this point I may not pursue them unless the price goes very reasonable.
 
Last edited:
No, please continue with the comments for the sake of discussion. That was my first impression but I may end up with them anyway and my opinion could change when I get them in my own environment.
 
I just got back from trying them out with a 5 WPC SE tube amp and came away unimpressed. Granted it may not have been the best setting for an audition but still found them quite uninteresting. And where's the bass? I'd like to A/B them in my room with my other speakers, but at this point I may not pursue them unless the price goes very reasonable.

IMO you need a different source. I've found that at low listening levels a 5 watt amp will cut it, but needs bass boost or loudness in order to sound full. But by then, you're using up all your power with LF at only moderate volume.
I know that I tried two of my magnavox 8601's with different circuits in them on my JBL S70's and the bass was un-inspiring and they sounded un-interesting. However, when I switched to an RH84 with better damping and 1 watt more power for these slightly high-Q drivers the bass was tons better. The S70 is like a two-wide L-100 with a passive radiator and 123A woofer, so with the proper source the bass is ABSOLUTELY there with plenty of authority.

Try more power and a little loudness and I think you might be happy. I know the D130's are different animals than the 123A's. I would certainly suggest replacing them with 123A's, and as others have mentioned you can sell the 130's to fund the 123A's. Should be almost an even price swap.
 
Back
Top Bottom