• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

JBL C-37 Speakers - Should I/is the price right?

BigRiver

Member
Got a bead on a very nice looking set of JBL c-37 speakers with the thin legs, big wood cabinets, etc. They are big, and really look nice, a few smallish dings - each cabinet has a d130 and a model 075 in it. Working perfectly. Dude's asking just under 2K. Does anyone have these, has listened to these drivers, or otherwise have experience or thoughts. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
IMHO that’s more than double what they are worth. Sound wise 4312’s are better
Thanks, but can you really compare these sets apples to apples the 4312's being monitors? Or is this more like a price point comparison? the c-37's seem like they are pretty ancient. Plus I am seeing like crazy prices on the drivers, like 2K for a set of the d130 and a lot of the 075's too?

00505_if0qnB1KkVW_0k20d5_600x450.jpg
 
You can’t go by asking price
If you want huge vintage speakers that are too close to the floor, not the easiest to fit In most rooms, have the cheaper components
130a’s and dlh175’s are the better Jbl loads
And are far better sounding . Even if they had them 2k is top dollar
Yes the 4312’s do everything better other than efficiency
,if you want to spend 2k on JBLs look for 4430’s
 
You can’t go by asking price
If you want huge vintage speakers that are too close to the floor, not the easiest to fit In most rooms, have the cheaper components
130a’s and dlh175’s are the better Jbl loads
And are far better sounding . Even if they had them 2k is top dollar
Yes the 4312’s do everything better other than efficiency
,
Yeah, I get that, and they do look pretty awkward; and really at the end of the day, I always want more for the buck. Hard pass on the c-37, thanksNyjblbob.
 
BTW, whats your power source? room size? and real budget?
Power source is/can be varied - I have Sansui au-999 running at about 70 wpc in addition I have a Sansui b-2102 power amp pushing 200 wpc running off the au-999 as well. The budget is evolving, lol! But seriously, I am always just on the lookout for a decent deal on great stuff like the rest of us. Currently I have some Crites upgraded Klipsch KG 4.2's and some AR 58's and some Polk Monitor 7's (thought I was gone mod these out, have not) but no jbl's and I really like rock and thought they could be a good fit. I do not want to spend more than 2K on speakers. Currently the room is 18+21, not too big
 
Keep an eye out for 4430's Great rock speakers, great horn and Powerful bass.and are Bi-ampable.
none of your current speakers will come close.
not sure where you live but near big cities and W/Coast is where to look. You don't want to ship them 130+ lbs each
 
Keep an eye out for 4430's Great rock speakers, great horn and Powerful bass.and are Bi-ampable.
none of your current speakers will come close.
not sure where you live but near big cities and W/Coast is where to look. You don't want to ship them 130+ lbs each
Oh boy, looking at them now, though it's gonna be hard to find them in New Mexico.
 
Road trip?
they are out there, all the known sites. Although condition is everything. Cabinet and grill condition, Woofer surrounds, dirty pots, out of spec Caps, Diaphragm condition !
 
I've had the 030 system in the C37 cabinets for over 60-years. A great combination and when I purchased my L112s new, the JBL dealer told me they were going to blow away my old JBLs. They didn't. Even my wife agreed. The L112s have been our bedroom speakers now for almost 40-years. In fact they've never left. I haven't even moved them to the new house yet. On the other hand, it took a pair of 4345s to kick the C37/030 out of the living room. Now they're in the basement. I bought some C35 cabinets years ago to put them in. That's a back-burner project right now. I also have Crown VFX2 crossovers and LE175DLHs I was going to use to make them 3-way tri-amped. I told my wife to put on my tombstone "He had all the parts".
 
I have a pair of C36s with the 030 load.

You can't argue about the looks, but I wouldn't pay $2k for them.

To me they sound better with solid state amps vs. tube. Would recommend auditioning them with the amp you intend on using before making a decision.
 
I have a pair of C36s with the 030 load.

You can't argue about the looks, but I wouldn't pay $2k for them.

To me they sound better with solid state amps vs. tube. Would recommend auditioning them with the amp you intend on using before making a decision.
You're not even giving the D130s a chance in a cabinet that small. Sure, they were popular, but for the same reason Bose Acoustimass are popular for being small. Just take away the sub! Life is a compromise.
 
I might add for Loud guitar solo’s SRV, Van Halen, Santana
Jbl D series does it like no other speakers
Just getting them to sound great in a home setting is tricky .
 
Back
Top Bottom