• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL C38s - too pricey?

analog addict

Glory or Death!
Subscriber
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair-JBL-C38-with-Legs-Walnut-in-Near-Mint-Condition-d130-075-n2400-/271071779489?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f1d231aa1

9B1C1C64-EDD2-4B28-AF98-09863C3C1BD4-397-00000078303B73CC.jpg


$2800 for a near mint pair. Friend of mine is interested, but it seems like a lot of dough. I'm no JBL expert however, so I thought I'd collect some informed opinions....Anyone?
 
Register to hide this ad
I've owned a pair of the 030 system for several decades. I love them dearly but there's no way they're worth that much when you figure what JBLs you could own for that kind of money. Especially in the C38 boxes which are really too small for the D130s. You could be into some really nice 4-way 43xx monitors for not much more.

Yeah, everyone will tell you how much just the legs are worth but are you gonna listen to them, or part them out.
 
If the 075's are 16 ohm they're worth twice what the legs are.

Like the D130, the 075 was rated at 16-ohm until about 1962 when they stopped listing it by impedance and within a few years they were all 8-ohm. I doubt there's any difference but since mine are from 1958, they must be sweet sixteens! I don't see any lines forming at my front door.
 
I would suggest auditioning them first before shelling out anywhere near that unless they're just being bought as collectibles, unless the buyer is already very familiar with them. I had a pair here for a very short while in my main rig, just borrowing them, and I think more than any speaker I've had, I just didn't get the reputation they have. That woofer just did not work well in that box (very little low bass) nor did it even remotely keep up with that tweeter.
 
i owned a pair that now resides at my best friends house. LOVE THEM! they only inter mingle with tubes though...$2800.00 is too steep IMHO, C35 cabinets have the same line-up and have more bass extension, plus they are cheaper!
 
Back
Top Bottom