• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

jbl c40 harkness

neeeek

Member
hello, I have a line on some jbl c40 harkness speakers that could be had for 1500$. Supposedly these have JBL 001 system - A JBL 130A 15" Alnico Woofer, JBL 175DLH Alnico Compression Driver with the n1200 crossover. From my understanding, this was the most sought after configuration for these, right? I don't believe the finish to be walnut but a little lighter, not too sure what finsihes these speakers were offered in. But the condition is great 8/10 no gouges or wood chips. Would this be great deal or should I walk? Also if I decide to go look at them how would I figure out if it really has those drivers?

Anyway just looking to see about the price. Yay or nay?
thanks fellas.
 
Register to hide this ad
here are some detailed shots, lmk what you guys think. Are the legs supposed to be bowed out like that?
 

Attachments

  • 00A0A_3p7Dp3zU2aN_1200x900.jpg
    00A0A_3p7Dp3zU2aN_1200x900.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 00Y0Y_1dyQfmRQylB_1200x900.jpg
    00Y0Y_1dyQfmRQylB_1200x900.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 00606_98lFsHsdIav_1200x900.jpg
    00606_98lFsHsdIav_1200x900.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 235
They could be after market legs, really nothing wrong with that. The guy obviously staged the photos with the backdrop & such and I'm just wondering why they are selling for such a low price. They look very good from here.
 
If you've got the space for them, that sounds like a good deal to me. Those are the supposedly more rare "blonde" cabinets. You certainly shouldn't lose money on the deal and they are quite the speaker. I have the 030 load in mine (D130/075/N2600).
 
One of my favorite speakers hands down...after my Stephen trusonics.Ive got a pair of 001 load woofers waiting a recone but I foolishly sold the dlh175 horns to korea...regret!
One of the best vintage 2-way speaker one can obtain for a tube based system in my estimation.
enjoy!

hunter
 
I offered those guys $2000 for those and they turned me down. Timing is everything I guess. Original korina wood and finish, original grill and badges, aftermarket legs, but a good copy, and solidly mounted. The bracket on the bottom allowed vertical or angled mount, but the aftermarket needed to be put on at that angle so as not to intrude into the cabinet bottom. They sounded great with a 1.8 watt Grommes integrated amp and my iphone. Condition was easily 9/10. Congratulations.
 
IMG_4292.JPG IMG_4293.JPG IMG_4291.JPG IMG_4293.JPG
The drivers alone are worth the selling price. Check out the C40's on ebay. The C34's are essentially the same units only standing vertically instead of horizontality.

Hey there I'm a new member and I am not really sure how to start a new post topic without just replying here I hope that's OK.
I posted here because I'm headed to an estate still tomorrow to hopefully buy a pair of late 50s Harkness JBL's
They're asking 1700 but will be marked to half of that tomorrow I looked inside the grill cloths and see EV on the dust caps (with whizzer type dustcap assembly) on the woofer drivers and it shows the shin of the bullet 175 tweeter I believe.
I have D130 JBL's i bought recently at home if these EV's are not ideal.
The cabinets and legs are at least 8/10 or better dark mahogany cabinets.
I have added pictures that were from the sale .
I'm hoping to get them back to original drivers if possible but think that these were professionally changed by the owner at some point. Do you guys have an idea of what the value of these sets go for now? I'd love to match up the D1 30 that I have if that would work with these crossovers. I think they were 2400n or 2100n.
Thanks jeff
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Electronics/183077/i.html?_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A5848&_sticky=1&_sc=1&_nkw=jbl+c&_sop=16
 
The belaire is gone, the other speakers are small bookshelf by "shure".
I guess I'm a little worried if the c 40s have the EV bass drivers instead of jbl's and also do not have the 075 in them.
Im headed that way to check them out again in an a few hours. If i install my d130's will that help the value even if not original. The cabinets are in excellent condition with very few scratches and rhe metal legs are clean aluminum or stainless steel. Im a woodworker so i was drawn to them right away.
 
Funny how they look just like an elongated C38

The ones for sale look to have the correct George Nelson legs, but it appears someone angled them at some point. Maybe they used some of those angled threaded connectors
 
Back
Top Bottom