• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Jbl Decade 36 speakers

thymanst

Minnesota morning
I have a chance to buy a pair of these for 100.00 - they are pretty used , but the drivers are all in good condition - I've refinished cabinets before so thats not to big of problem - I've had some 4311b's before - how do the Decade 36's compare?:scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
I have to agree with Homer Jay. I bought a beat pair and replaced the drivers for $155 at the cheapest prices I could find. That's pricing elbow grease at free.

I'm very happy with how they sound. Next step is a recap...


Anyways. I'd go for it.
 
I should have done a search first here on AK - I found lots of info on them and they seem very well regarded - I'll post before and after when I get them and then fix them up.....
 
JBl Decade L-36

Well, I got the speakers and they are in rough shape (see photos) Got them to come down in price to $70 - got them home and hooked them up and they sound wonderful - no static in the controls - I've already got the dimples out of the speaker caps - the grill frames are perfect (except the cloth of course) the faces of the speakers cleaned up very well also - The grill cloth looks like water got to them but theres no sign of this on the speakers themselves - I've already got some grill cloth laying around (I might order some blue or brown to bring them back to there former glory) and a sheet of paper backed oak veneer I was going to use on some 4311b's but I just sanded and sealed those instead - The woofers look new and so does the foam - I will post pics when I finish the speakers....
 
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you stole those..; ;) Nice score!

Tell me when you get the dimples out of the tweeters. I haven't figured it out yet.

Maybe the grills were stored in the basement... ?
 
See fragger's thread about his L36s. I made some comments about refinishing that may be of use to you. Nice find and they are becoming one of my favorites too.
 
Refurbed l36's

Well, I've got quite a bit done on the speakers - I re-veenered the cabinets in a white oak and recovered the the grills also - I still have to sand and oil and seal? - what do most people do to finish the speakers?: - I've used Poly before but is there something better?:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Its the first time I've veneered speakers - but thanks to tips on AK It made it go pretty easy - Using Titebond II glue, letting it dry and then ironing the veneer worked like a charm -I then trimmed with a sharp utility knife - I'm still working on the two tweeters' nipples undented - I'm also going to put 5 way binding posts Insread of the Jbl connectors (two are missing anyway) - One badge stem broke and I tried soildering and that didnt work - so I'm attempting to glue it instead - I still would like some tips on how to finish the veneer....
 
Personally, i'd be more concerned about how they sound, than how they look.

Great snag, great refurb! They are something to be proud of. I wouldn't have guessed they were the same speakers.
 
Dude -- you work fast! Nice work, and nice price, too. :thmbsp: I've been putting off a veneering project mainly out of fear, but should probably just get down to it. I'm old fashioned, and like Watco stuff, but there's many others here with plenty of other experience, and I'm sure they'll chime in. I always wondered what the L-36 would look like with the blue grille cloth -- I've never seen anything but the brown fabric in real life.
 
finished speakers

Finsihed the L36s this morning - really happy the way they turned out - They'll be my sons college speakers (starts in fall) - For a first time it went pretty easily and I will probably do more (saw large Advents on CL this morning).....
 
Last edited:
Oh wow, veeery nice. That veneer looks pro! You have one lucky son, I didn't have anything quite that nice when I started college a couple years ago. :drool:
 
Back
Top Bottom