• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L-100T versus L-88

goinslow

Turn me on dead man
I have a pair of L-88 JBL's and have the chance to pick up a pair of L-100T JBL's. Has anyone had the opportunity to side by side these 2 speakers? I really love the L-88's, so are the 100T's a step up?
 
Register to hide this ad
The L100T has a fine woofer that will give you much stronger bass response than the L88. It's also a three-way system with a titanium driver which might sound overly bright to you at first based on what you've been listening to—and with no L-pad to tone it down. You'll probably get used to it. :yes: The L100T is capable of handling a lot more power than the L88 but it will also need more power to reach its potential. Both are very desirable but I'd be surprised if you didn't prefer the L100T after a period of familiarization.

I've not heard them side-by-side but I own L80Ts and have heard L100T/i's, and grew up with the three-way version of the L88, the L100.
 
I have a pair of L-88 that I used in a bedroom system for about a year and then swapped them out. I just sort of grew tired of the "heavy" bass that they produce. They are not a flat responsed speaker by any means. I think people refer to L-88 and L-100 as producing that West Coast sound. I prefer a more mellow bass. I think that I swapped them out with some EPI 100v's.

As BMWCCA indicated, you are really talking about two entirely different speaker designs. I have hear the L-100T before and was very pleased with what I heard. I think overall they are a better design with a flatter response accept for the peak the titanium tweeter produces, which I prefer.

They will require more juice to bring them to life. I believe I heard them with a 100w Denon intigrated. Very nice combo!!! If you ask whoever is selling them if you could do a side by side, that would be great. If I were selling a pair of speakers, I would want the new owner to be pleased at the end of the day. It never hurts to ask.
 
Back
Top Bottom