• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L100 trade proposal....?

bd1886

Super Member
Hey guys, In kind of a conundrum. I have a pair of JBL L100's up for trade. Cosmetically close to mint except for they are in need of the tweeter foam surrounds and grill foam. Performance mirrors their great cosmetics.
Been looking around and BIN pricing is between $600.00 and $800.00...probably a little high for "real world".

A gentleman expressed an interest in a trade and what he has to offer is:
Sansui AU-999 Integrated Amp (Working....rest uknown.)
Marantz 2252 Receiver (B...?, untested.)
Kenwood KR-9600 (Original, Very good condition....no work done.)

My thing is that my JBL's are a "known", they are in better shape than everything I've seen for sale (all have exact missing foams). How would you approach this? All of his equipment seems to be of less value so it would be a combo thing I'm thinking, and just looking for what "fair" would be?

My original approach was to trade the JBL's for a Sansui 9090 good shape w/minimal servicing or an 8080 w/cash fully serviced...but a Kenny KR-9600 is no slouch and would be a keeper for me. Appreciate it and all input would be fantastic! (Going to further talk with the gentleman in 2 hours.) :scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
Trade for the KR-9600 and the AU-999 both. Personally, I'd just keep the L100s as they are more desirable on the open market right now.. but it's your move.
 
Yeah....the JBL's are historically a big deal.......

If I would keep 'em I'd do a dual custom grill treatment, have a resto in the original grill frames, and do the improved x-over. Reality is that speaks for me are handled and in the process of making some go bye bye. Investment wise the JBL's are it.....that's also a chip to bring to the table....conundrum. Thanks hatrack....I'm from Libby!
 
Agreed! The KR 9600 is quite valuable especially if nice cosmetically.

I will third that.

I think overall you will like the Kenwood the most, I have heard the AU-999, while a great amplifier, doesn't dazzle in the low-end department and can sound rather shrill depending on how far gone the caps are. However in restored condition it's a fabulous unit.

I think your JBL's are more valuable though but it really depends on if you want more amplifiers or not. That's really what matters in this trade off.
 
Yeah....the JBL's are historically a big deal.......

If I would keep 'em I'd do a dual custom grill treatment, have a resto in the original grill frames, and do the improved x-over. Reality is that speaks for me are handled and in the process of making some go bye bye. Investment wise the JBL's are it.....that's also a chip to bring to the table....conundrum. Thanks hatrack....I'm from Libby!

Ah, you must be referring to the Kr-9600 I saw up on CL in your area. Seems to me he wanted quite a bit for it. I honestly think the AU-999 sounds better but... all ears are different. Either way, you have a pretty good bargaining chip with the L100s. I'm a bit of a JBL fanatic owning several large studio monitor pairs. You could say I'm a bit biased toward you keeping the JBLs. Solid state gear really doesn't excite me much anymore.
 
Have the first generation with the offset mid and tweet.....WTH, my computer isn't playing youtube vids? (I think my house cleaning has erased the video component I need.)

Well....gentleman was mistaken on what he had until he got home to verify. It all is lesser stuff than the direction I'm going so....

List:
Pioneer SX-980
Marantz 2250b
Kenwood KR-7600
Sansui AU-999

.....just going to back burner this whole thing. Deep thanks for you guys springing in and helping like you did! (Will do the same when I can.)
 
Last edited:
Hey guys, In kind of a conundrum. I have a pair of JBL L100's up for trade. Cosmetically close to mint except for they are in need of the tweeter foam surrounds and grill foam. Performance mirrors their great cosmetics.
Been looking around and BIN pricing is between $600.00 and $800.00...probably a little high for "real world".

A gentleman expressed an interest in a trade and what he has to offer is:
Sansui AU-999 Integrated Amp (Working....rest uknown.)
Marantz 2252 Receiver (B...?, untested.)
Kenwood KR-9600 (Original, Very good condition....no work done.)

My thing is that my JBL's are a "known", they are in better shape than everything I've seen for sale (all have exact missing foams). How would you approach this? All of his equipment seems to be of less value so it would be a combo thing I'm thinking, and just looking for what "fair" would be?

My original approach was to trade the JBL's for a Sansui 9090 good shape w/minimal servicing or an 8080 w/cash fully serviced...but a Kenny KR-9600 is no slouch and would be a keeper for me. Appreciate it and all input would be fantastic! (Going to further talk with the gentleman in 2 hours.) :scratch2:

He may have scrounged up what I was looking for and proposed a trade for a nice Sansui 9090db and a Kenwood KR-7600. Sure seems fair to me!
 
See if you can swing the 9090 and the AU-999. You won't be sorry. I just don't think that Kenny is in the same league at all. :no:
 
Guess that would be worth a proposal......maybe a problem pair of JBL Decades would make that happen? Appreciate the brain jog.
 
The 9090 was a top of the line unit but just in case you weren't aware, the AU-999 was also top of the line for that series. It is warm and punchy sounding with lots of depth. You would have two TOTL Sansui units. Pretty cool.:thmbsp:
 
These Sansuis are so awesomely cool-sounding, I swear till the day I die that I will recommend them to anyone who appreciates the real 70's sound. They were the perfect representation of what a normal person with a goodly amount of money could expect to achieve with what was commonly available at the local chain stereo-type establishments of the time. This was the stuff I lusted for back then. Totally out of my budget at the time, and still not only great-sounding but pretty available and not much can best it even today. 8080DB is my everyday player, and turning it on every morning is a ritual I eagerly look forward to every night when I retire to rest. Damn that thing makes my life worth living!:thmbsp:
 
Hell I can't give away my beautiful, fully recapped (original caps are still there just in case someone like the original better) upgraded wiring and terminals, original documentation and consecutive serial numbers around here.


I'd say any of what you mentioned would be a good trade.

-R
 
Thanks you guys. This whole little project will most likely be finished up today and all your info has helped me immensely. Now that I will have 2 of the early 70's icons, my daily driver needs are handled. Looking forward to seeing how an SX-1010 and 9090DB sound different. Both will stay...stuff is exiting! I need to subscribe to keep offerings "in house" here at AK.....our members deserve this! (What a resource we all are.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom